Thread: touch after pk

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Default Re: touch after pk

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    it wasn't a change that I welcomed. I didn't/don't think that a team that deliberately puts the ball out of play should be rewarded for that.
    It's definitely an oddity of rugby that a team awarded a PK .... kicks the ball off the field.

When you sit and think about it, it's very strange - I can't think of any other sport with something similar - but we take it for granted.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by damo View Post
    I was almost correct. See article from August 1992. Changes :

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...s-1548710.html
    thanks - wow, that long

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Quebec Society of Rugby Referees
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    It's definitely an oddity of rugby that a team awarded a PK .... kicks the ball off the field.

When you sit and think about it, it's very strange - I can't think of any other sport with something similar - but we take it for granted.

- - - Updated - - -

thanks - wow, that long
    But it punishes the offending team with a potentially significant loss of territory as well as the loss of the ball. It is not so much about rewarding a team that kicks the ball out as punishing a team that has offended.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Yes, but my point is that the game is structured oddly, so that on many circumstances the best thing for a team to do is kick the ball off the pitch

Is there any other game where teams do that ?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8

Yes, but my point is that the game is structured uniquely, so that on many circumstances the best thing for a team to do is kick the ball off the pitch

FTFY!
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by chbg View Post
    FTFY!
    Well , yes, as I said it's so ingrained in rugby folk that we no longer perceive how odd it is.

Perhaps as the focus on ball-in-play time grows, we'll start to become more aware of the anomaly

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

It does seem counterintuitive but no more so than a game in which senior coaches think their best chance of winning is by having less possession. I suspect the change was brought about because having legalised lifting in the line out towards the end of the 80's, winning your own throw became much more likely. Awarding a penalty which was then kicked for ground almost always resulted in the loss of possesion to the offending side and so deliberate infringing, particularly if reasonably distant from your own goal-line, became more desirable.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Yes, but my point is that the game is structured oddly, so that on many circumstances the best thing for a team to do is kick the ball off the pitch

Id suggest that at times for defensive reset reasons this still happens in football and hockey (not that ive played hocley for decades!)

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Jz558 View Post
    It does seem counterintuitive but no more so than a game in which senior coaches think their best chance of winning is by having less possession.
    agreed - also an odd part of our game,

So we have found ourselves in a position where we have constructed a game where very often the winning strategy is often to kick the ball off the field, or to contrive to lose posession ... and then we wonder why it's often boring to watch (and no doubt to play)

Indeed I remember Joe Marler shouting at the oppo : "you're boring me!" .. Reminded me og Sid Viscious in the last few appearances for the Sex Pistols standing on the stage bellowing 'It's no fun'

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1

I always thought it was odd in American/Gridiron Football that you are allowed and sometimes encouraged to run out of bounds and retain possession of the ball. Though, if you kick the ball out of bounds you lose possession.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Bay of Plenty
    Grade
    Secondary School

I don't think it's odd at all.

These days the team throwing the ball in wins about 80-90% of the time. If a team has offended the other team should have the option of moving upfield and getting the ball back.

Rugby League has the same rule about kicks from a PK for the same reason.
    "There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - Dick Jeeps

Thread Information