Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Wales vs Eng - Knock on and Time back on after asking captain to speak to players

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Default Wales vs Eng - Knock on and Time back on after asking captain to speak to players

Iím English, Iím biased, but not convinced the French ref is having a good game. In reverse order;

2nd Welsh try, for me the Welsh winger is in possession as trying to gather the ball, knocks forward on to himself, doesnít regather therefore a knock on.

1st try, kudos to Wales for spotting it, but time is off as ref has asked Farrell to go speak to his players re penalty count, so White are in a huddle, he then puts time back on as the huddle is breaking but some players still have their back to the ball, and certainly not set to receive - Wales kick to the corner, caught, try - how is that fair, and massively avoidable. Talk about a gotcha!

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11

Default Re: Wales vs Eng - Knock on and Time back on after asking captain to speak to players

Iím Welsh and Iíd agree with you for the first try- unfair (although well spotted and fair play to our 10), so your not being biased.
    Second try - I think the decision was correct , but totally understandable that there are questions and Iíve seen those given as knock-one many many times.

Soc/Assoc
    Dorchester
    Grade
    -

Default Re: Wales vs Eng - Knock on and Time back on after asking captain to speak to players

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    I’m Welsh and I’d agree with you for the first try- unfair (although well spotted and fair play to our 10), so your not being biased.
    Second try - I think the decision was correct , but totally understandable that there are questions and I’ve seen those given as knock-one many many times.
    What's your thinking of the 2nd one? Red tries catch ball, hand knocks it forwards, ball hits his calf, and bounces backwards into white, but still ahead of the place of red knock.

Lost forward and not regathered - knock on for me. I have never seen it refereed any different to that, the classic fumble forward that turns into the grubber has always been given as a knock on. Reaction of Louis R-Z said it all really - he never thought it was a try for a second.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

As soon as he touches the ball to try and gather (when it goes forward) he’s considered as in possession and could be tackled, therefore from that moment onwards if he doesn’t fully gather the ball it’s a knock on, the leg, it going backwards after, it touching the England player is a distraction. In possession, went forward => knock on

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11

I donít think it ever went forward, I think it went backwards into his leg, and then back again off his leg into the England player.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan

Ref asked Farrell to speak to his players. All he needs to do is shout, "Final warning discipline".
    They do not need to discuss the weather in Porthcawl or who is buying the drinks.
    And there is no general permission to bring on water carriers.
    The non offending side always has the right to go quickly.

I was surprised Itoje did not see yellow for either the deliberate knock on or the repeated offending.

I would have given the knock on - on the grounds give what people expect.

What did we think about the ref in the Italy game giving the penalty for players in front of the kicker advancing without calling "hold"?
    I assume this was discussed in the brief.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Camquin View Post
    They do not need to discuss the weather in Porthcawl or who is buying the drinks.
    And there is no general permission to bring on water carriers.
    The non offending side always has the right to go quickly.
    The non offending side does not have the right to go early when the referee has asked for a captain to talk to his players. I agree with points that water carriers should not have been on and the talking to by Farrell took too long, but here the referee should manage, tell England to get ready/reset then allow the penalty. Not allow the penalty then lie to the England captain that he gave enough time to reset.

Second try - knock on. It's very simple, locked forward by red. Does not matter what happens with the ball after that if red does not recover. Hits his calf, hits and England player before hitting the floor. It was knocked on first.

2 key decisions against England, however having got back to 24 all, England gave away too many penalties and dod not deserve to win from that point.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    I don’t think it ever went forward, I think it went backwards into his leg, and then back again off his leg into the England player.
    Do you not think it came off his hand? I saw hand behind the body trying to gather, forward off hand onto leg?

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Best frame I could get, I think arm his behind him? 732AFD0D-BF7E-490B-B5B1-1C7A22AB2603.jpg

Thread Information