Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 286

Thread: Wales vs Eng - Knock on and Time back on after asking captain to speak to players

      
  1. #81

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    Club
    Grade
    interested bystander
    Join Date
    02 May 07
    Posts
    4,605

    Default Re: Wales vs Eng - Knock on and Time back on after asking captain to speak to players

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    Barnes was exemplary.
    yup - in terms of comms, best in the business and has been for some time.

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    Yup. Paddy OBrien has retired
    (can't find the crying with laughter emoji, but assume there are 5 of them here!)
    Hi. I'm Barry Scott.

  2. #82
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Quebec Society of Rugby Referees
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    16 Feb 12
    Posts
    344

    Default Re: Wales vs Eng - Knock on and Time back on after asking captain to speak to players

    Quote Originally Posted by DocY View Post
    Well they were both speaking English.

    I don't know how good both their English is, but maybe they weren't as confident explaining what they were looking at as if they were speaking French. I'm just speculating. It might not have been an issue at all.
    I've been in the same room with Ruiz speaking in English. Like the other French referees his English is functional, and he can carry on a conversation, but a French referee speaking with a French TMO should be able to do it in French. I assume they speak English for the fans and the broadcaster. I have heard French officials speaking in French first before repeating the decision in English.

  3. #83

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    Club
    Grade
    interested bystander
    Join Date
    02 May 07
    Posts
    4,605

    Default Re: Wales vs Eng - Knock on and Time back on after asking captain to speak to players

    Quote Originally Posted by buff View Post
    I've been in the same room with Ruiz speaking in English. Like the other French referees his English is functional, and he can carry on a conversation, but a French referee speaking with a French TMO should be able to do it in French. I assume they speak English for the fans and the broadcaster. I have heard French officials speaking in French first before repeating the decision in English.
    i assume you're not including Christophe Berdos in this summary? appreciate he's been retired from the top level for a while now...

    having said that, his english was better than my french...
    Hi. I'm Barry Scott.

  4. #84
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    05 Jan 18
    Posts
    2,111

    Default Re: Wales vs Eng - Knock on and Time back on after asking captain to speak to players

    Quote Originally Posted by DocY View Post
    Well they were both speaking English.

    I don't know how good both their English is, but maybe they weren't as confident explaining what they were looking at as if they were speaking French. I'm just speculating. It might not have been an issue at all.
    Why? They should be communicating in the best languague for them to gt it right!

  5. #85

    Advises in England
    OB..'s Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Join Date
    07 Oct 04
    Posts
    22,814

    Default Re: Wales vs Eng - Knock on and Time back on after asking captain to speak to players

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    It is not a "flaw in the laws". To kick the ball it has to be dropped therefore it is obvious that you must be able to drop the ball in order to kick (punt or drop kick) the ball. Therefore, since kicking is allowed, the dropping of the ball in that CONTEXT is clearly legal. It is tacetly implied if nothing else.

    Perpetuating this myth is just not helpful.
    A significant problem occurs when a player is tackled after releasing the ball but just before he actually kicks it. The would-be kicker usually gets sanctioned, so your counter fails..
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

  6. #86
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Quebec Society of Rugby Referees
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    16 Feb 12
    Posts
    344

    Default Re: Wales vs Eng - Knock on and Time back on after asking captain to speak to players

    Quote Originally Posted by dave_clark View Post
    i assume you're not including Christophe Berdos in this summary? appreciate he's been retired from the top level for a while now...

    having said that, his english was better than my french...
    No, I am not. I am referring to the current crop of elite/test refs.

  7. #87
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    14 Nov 18
    Posts
    226

    Default Re: Wales vs Eng - Knock on and Time back on after asking captain to speak to players

    The TMO clearly tells the ref that the ball didn't go forwards (see eg 2:10 into this clip) - and that he can stick with his on field decision. Did it clearly and obviously go forwards - or was it quite possibly down? I find it hard to believe that such an experienced team of officials got it so badly wrong. Is it possible PG has been hung out to dry by WR? https://youtu.be/zdtcPXLhUso

  8. #88

    Resident Club Coach
    didds's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Join Date
    27 Jan 04
    Posts
    10,407

    Default Re: Wales vs Eng - Knock on and Time back on after asking captain to speak to players

    Cant recall if I said this already... how often do we see a #9 done for knock on when they drop the ball at the base of a ruck. It "always" gets blown as a knock on even though the distance dropped (a very inches at most_ can never demonstraably have been shown to go forward. In this regard "vertical" is clearly seen as "forward" and id go further to say its more like "not demonstably backwards" is classed as forward.

    So frankly the discussion between the ref and poite (TMO) is throuroughly redundant. The French refereeing classes have once again pulled an aardvark from a pair of underpants.

    didds

  9. #89
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Join Date
    10 Dec 15
    Posts
    1,801

    Default Re: Wales vs Eng - Knock on and Time back on after asking captain to speak to players

    Quote Originally Posted by belladonna View Post
    The TMO clearly tells the ref that the ball didn't go forwards (see eg 2:10 into this clip) - and that he can stick with his on field decision. Did it clearly and obviously go forwards - or was it quite possibly down? I find it hard to believe that such an experienced team of officials got it so badly wrong. Is it possible PG has been hung out to dry by WR? https://youtu.be/zdtcPXLhUso
    Watching it again this morning, maybe the TMO thought his right hand was always in contact with the ball until it hit his hip, then went straight down and not forward. I stress the maybe.

    As you say, difficult to know how they got it badly wrong and whether it was an error in fact or error in law.

  10. #90

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    19,063

    Default Re: Wales vs Eng - Knock on and Time back on after asking captain to speak to players

    I hate to say it - but the Law defining a knock on does need to be rewritten.

    It's all very well decrying a 'legalistic' view of the Laws, but when TMOs are watching incidents in super slow motion and aiming for 100% accuracy of decisions - it's a 'legalistic' view of the Laws that si being applied.

    We can't go on with this situation that we wait for things to go wrong and then tweak the laws (or issue clarifications) afterwards.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •