Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Wales vs Eng - Knock on and Time back on after asking captain to speak to players

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

Default Re: Wales vs Eng - Knock on and Time back on after asking captain to speak to players

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    we have plenty of referees over 60.. go find your boots !
    I once assessed a visiting 70-year old referee for a Level 7 match. He told me he always asked for an exchange fixture early in the season to get independent evidence as to whether or not he was still up to the task. He definitely was! His man management in particular was excellent, and showed his experience.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Quebec Society of Rugby Referees
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Re: Wales vs Eng - Knock on and Time back on after asking captain to speak to players

Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    With regards to knocking back after a juggle, do any of our Southern Hemisphere colleagues have any contacts that can confirm how the law is interpreted down their way?
    This isn't what you are looking for, but in the 44th minute of Worcester vs Bristol, a Bristol ball carrier lost the ball forwards, then knocked it back without catching it as he fell. I don't think there is any doubt that he did knock it back. The main camera was right in line with the incident. Craig Maxwell-Keys gave it as a knock-on.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    With regards to knocking back after a juggle, do any of our Southern Hemisphere colleagues have any contacts that can confirm how the law is interpreted down their way?
    craig joubert agrees with Nigel Owens
    https://www.sareferees.com/ref-repli...ubert/2829594/

But the from the question itself, and the answer, we can deduce that in the southern hemisphere also opinions differ

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    That's not quite what it says. The intention to kick "can" be communicated to the referee. i.e. you can tell him you are going to kick, OR it can be signalled by the arrival of the Tee, or making a mark on the ground (doesn't happen much these days, if at all).

19. The kicking team must indicate their intention to kick for goal without delay.
    20. If the team indicates to the referee the intention to kick at goal, they must kick at goal. The intention to kick can be communicated to the referee or signalled by the arrival of the kicking tee or sand, or when the player makes a mark on the ground.
    6.29.B

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    craig joubert agrees with Nigel Owens
    https://www.sareferees.com/ref-repli...ubert/2829594/

But the from the question itself, and the answer, we can deduce that in the southern hemisphere also opinions differ
    clever bloke that Rob Edwards
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by KoolFork View Post
    I don't referee any more - 60 is too old!

But I didn't. I just used to hold my arm straight up and call time on or off. Everyone who needed to hear was in close proximity and I wouldn't have called time on in the situation PG did.
    I'm still reffing and I'm 60. I'll retire when I feel the time is right OR my reviews suggest the time is right.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Not sure where we got to with the whistle blowing for time back on, but PG *did* blow the whistle to signal time back on.
    https://youtu.be/K6rIMLowoJI?t=228

About the claim that the tee was on the field - where does this come from? I've reviewed all the footage I can find of the incident and can't see any of the support staff with anything in their other hand.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by buff View Post
    This isn't what you are looking for, but in the 44th minute of Worcester vs Bristol, a Bristol ball carrier lost the ball forwards, then knocked it back without catching it as he fell. I don't think there is any doubt that he did knock it back. The main camera was right in line with the incident. Craig Maxwell-Keys gave it as a knock-on.
    Watched it. Not quite the same scenario because he had already caught the ball and was running with it and lost the ball forward in the tackle. He had a couple of bites at it but at the time he knocked the ball backwards he had both knees on the ground so was out of the game. Craig wouldn’t have had any choice but to give a knock-on. Unless of course he went for a penalty for handling on the floor which would have been harsh!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by belladonna View Post
    Not sure where we got to with the whistle blowing for time back on, but PG *did* blow the whistle to signal time back on.
    https://youtu.be/K6rIMLowoJI?t=228

About the claim that the tee was on the field - where does this come from? I've reviewed all the footage I can find of the incident and can't see any of the support staff with anything in their other hand.
    Yes, he did . it's very common to blow whistle both for time off and for time on

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    I am a Fan

Is the consensus here that PG should have blown time-on but then prohibited Wales from taking the penalty until he blew his whistle a second time (or made a mark, or some other thing) and should have delayed that until England were ready? Or should he have gone over to England (or blown his whistle with a 'look at me' tone and gestured/shouted for everyone to get ready/non-players to leave) before then putting time back on?

I'm not sure that it's appropriate to have time on and a team entitled to take a penalty kick, but not to let them decide when to take the kick - and presumably Wales's intent was to take the kick as soon as they were permitted, given the question they asked.

Thread Information