Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Wales vs Eng - Knock on and Time back on after asking captain to speak to players

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Default Re: Wales vs Eng - Knock on and Time back on after asking captain to speak to players

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    I don't think so. If in the first case the player loses possession of the ball and it goes forward, but they catch it before it hits the ground, it's not a knock on. So the final clause applies to the first part too.
    i think you are right, and we have to make sense of it from the text - this CANNOT turn on the presence or absence of a comma!

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan

Default Re: Wales vs Eng - Knock on and Time back on after asking captain to speak to players

Just looking at the videos, in the laws. In the first one Scotland v USA, is the knock on even in shot?
    There is a lot of time spent watching Hogg making a great run which is simply not relevant.

Why use match video.
    Why not go out and shoot some footage and make sure what you want to show is clear - in the centre of the screen and takes up all the video.
    Include examples both ways and add a commentary poointing out what to look for.

I know in real life referees get to see something out of the corner of our eye while dealing with something else - but just as you learn to pass at a jog back and forward down the line rather than with a 6'4 lock tackling you - the laws need clear examples.

BTW in the charge down video, does the canada player have control all of the way to the ground as she scores the try.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Camquin View Post
    BTW in the charge down video, does the canada player have control all of the way to the ground as she scores the try.
    Sounds just like any meeting when a video is shown! Completely miss the point of the video and focus on something else

Which I think is the point you're trying to make.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    If it had happened on halfway and after the ball went back from the leg followed by an England knock on in trying to retrieve the loose ball, what would we expect to be awarded?

Cos I dont beleive for one moment wed have had a similar long convoluted To4 discussion about it...
    The ball was knock back with respect to white.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Hmm, did I hear that right, Wayne says a knock forward whilst trying to catch, and then batting it backwards (without catching) is not a knock on, I would have thought that falls into the not caught category?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX_S...ature=youtu.be

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    Hmm, did I hear that right, Wayne says a knock forward whilst trying to catch, and then batting it backwards (without catching) is not a knock on, I would have thought that falls into the not caught category?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX_S...ature=youtu.be
    I'm glad WB has posted that. Has clearly confirmed my understanding
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan

So the two top referees in the world disagree fundamentally about the meaning of the law.
    And yet still some thini the law book is fit for purpose.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer

So using the WB criteria the ref and TMO were correct because after the knock forward the ball was definitely knocked back by the other hand.
    What a mess! WR certainly need to clear this up with a definitive statement and explanation, but I very much doubt they will based on their previous record on such things.

Despite any thoughts on any possible errors the referee may have made I think we can say that he still made far fewer mistakes than the players!

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    So using the WB criteria the ref and TMO were correct because after the knock forward the ball was definitely knocked back by the other hand.
    What a mess! WR certainly need to clear this up with a definitive statement and explanation, but I very much doubt they will based on their previous record on such things.

Despite any thoughts on any possible errors the referee may have made I think we can say that he still made far fewer mistakes than the players!
    I'm not entirely sure, it certainly muddies the water as I saw player knock it forward, then it bounced backwards off of him (not the same as being played back as in WB's example) so not convinced it's the same, but certainly not as black and white as I was before (knocked forward, not caught, therefore knock on) - so, help!

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    Hmm, did I hear that right, Wayne says a knock forward whilst trying to catch, and then batting it backwards (without catching) is not a knock on,
    Meanwhile other refs and authorities are saying losing control forward then batting it back (without first taking control before the bat back) IS a knock on.

What a mess.
    Last edited by didds; 03-03-21 at 09:03.

Thread Information