Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Wales vs Eng - Knock on and Time back on after asking captain to speak to players

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1

Default Re: Wales vs Eng - Knock on and Time back on after asking captain to speak to players

Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    Now this is the sort of discussion I like!
    It should be knocks-on and not knock-ons. Or knockons. So how would you pluralise knock on?
    Is it Knocked-on, and Knocking-on ?

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1

Default Re: Wales vs Eng - Knock on and Time back on after asking captain to speak to players

I think the key part is defining 'catch', because this is what is needed to negate the ball being hit forward. Can you catch the ball with 1 hand or are 2 required. Is there a time requirement? Can you catch a ball for a fraction of a second? Does redirecting the ball count as a catch? Is there a control component needed? Can you catch the ball with a fist, or the back of the hand, or arms without hands, or just a finger tip or 2?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Seems like discussion has been around for a while...
    http://www.rugbyrefs.com/archive/index.php/t-17273.html

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

I have sent a follow up question about the definition of ‘possession’ and the matter of ‘control’, as outlined above in previous posts. I’ll keep everyone updated if I get a response. This may take some time while NO is getting further clarification himself and views the WB video.
    a corollary. Using Belladonna's stills in #142, if Red 14 had then fallen over the goal line while maintaining continuous contact (ie no daylight) between hand/finger & ball, would that be a try?
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    a corollary. Using Belladonna's stills in #142, if Red 14 had then fallen over the goal line while maintaining continuous contact (ie no daylight) between hand/finger & ball, would that be a try?
    Honestly Dickie? I haven’t got a clue!
    From what we’ve seen, experienced and discussed lately anything could happen and quite frankly I’d be just happy that Wales get the benefit of any decision.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by belladonna View Post
    Seems like discussion has been around for a while...
    http://www.rugbyrefs.com/archive/index.php/t-17273.html
    to be specific- the thread question was the juggle-and-bat-back scenario

interestingly the majority opinion here (forcefully expressed) was the NO view (knock on) but I suspect it is going to be the WB view that prevails - (not a knock on).

has convention/understanding changed ? or were we all wrong back then
    Last edited by crossref; 04-03-21 at 22:03.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    Can you catch the ball with 1 hand or are 2 required
    The answer is either. Clearly so to anyone who ever watches cricket or indeed rugby.

Is there a time requirement? Can you catch a ball for a fraction of a second? Does redirecting the ball count as a catch? Is there a control component needed?
    You need to "hold" the ball long enough for control to be evident Slapping the ball back is not catching it.

Can you catch the ball with a fist, or the back of the hand, or arms without hands, or just a finger tip or 2?
    Yes (with difficulty).
    Highly unlikely.
    Yes.
    With difficulty

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2

Quote Originally Posted by belladonna View Post
    Ah ok. But a forward pass is not?
    Correct - it used to be confusing, so they defined a forward pass (in the Definitions) such that it's when the arms move forward - i.e. relative to the player.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer

Ok. I asked Nigel about the definition of ‘possession’ as this seemed to be central to the issue and the word used in the laws. His response was as follows.

I would think that the definitions on Possession means that you cant juggle it forward then knock it back as you must regain control of it
    It’s a bit of a grey area but that’s the way I will be advising refereeing here in Wales to referee it. Its straight forward and easy to follow. Common sense

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Ok. I asked Nigel about the definition of ‘possession’ as this seemed to be central to the issue and the word used in the laws. His response was as follows.

I would think that the definitions on Possession means that you cant juggle it forward then knock it back as you must regain control of it
    It’s a bit of a grey area but that’s the way I will be advising refereeing here in Wales to referee it. Its straight forward and easy to follow. Common sense
    Out on the park this Saturday somewhere in Wales ... (or this september whenever we it is we are allowed back)

Red 10, in the middle of the field juggles the ball and bats the ball backwards where it is picked up by red teammate

- a competent referee could certainly sell : peep 'knock on' scrum blue . No one would complain, but quite likely someone would ask about it in the bar after ... as it's an interesting one.

- a competent referee could certainly sell a loud shout of 'play on! backwards!'. No one would complain, but quite likely someone would ask about it in the bar after ... as it's an interesting one.

- a poor referee might allow play to continue but say nothing, leaving some players a bit confused .. hang on ... wasn't that...??

So Nigel's advice to refs in Wales seems sensible ...

BUT ....
    - move the scenario to incident near the try line, where a try is scored.. and there is a TMO.. and it's on TV ... then we really, really need to know exactly what the actual Law actually is...
    Last edited by crossref; 05-03-21 at 18:03.

Thread Information