Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: PK after the try - with a difference

      
  1. #1

    Referees in New Zealand
    Ian_Cook's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    12 Jul 05
    Posts
    13,522

    Default PK after the try - with a difference

    Saw this while standing on the sideline watching a preseason club game last night....

    Player does an Arlo* on the tryscorer after half time has expired, resulting in an immediate YC.

    After the conversion, the referee blew for half time, but stated that he would award a PK to the opponents at the restart of the second half for the act of foul play after the try was scored.

    Comments?


    *For those unfamiliar with "Arlo", it is an act or foul play similar to this disgraceful bit of thuggery by Richard Loe (Aussies needn't watch - you will already know what this is)

    Starting at 6:20
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

  2. #2
    Coach/Referee

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    03 May 13
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: PK after the try - with a difference

    I can understand the logic...but I think it is an error.

    Edit. ..In your scenario should a penalty try have been awarded?

  3. #3
    Rugby Club Member Treadmore's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Dorchester
    Grade
    -
    Join Date
    11 Nov 08
    Posts
    398

    Default Re: PK after the try - with a difference

    @Ian - seems a fair decision. We know the location is where the game would restart. And we know because time has expired that the "when" play restarts is at the start of the next half. There's no time caveats under Law 9 Foul Play, just has to be in playing enclosure. So seems fair enough to me to have penalty restart at start of second half.

  4. #4
    Coach/Referee

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    03 May 13
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: PK after the try - with a difference

    Quote Originally Posted by Treadmore View Post
    @Ian - seems a fair decision. We know the location is where the game would restart. And we know because time has expired that the "when" play restarts is at the start of the next half. There's no time caveats under Law 9 Foul Play, just has to be in playing enclosure. So seems fair enough to me to have penalty restart at start of second half.
    Time may have expired as you say....but the half hadn't ended!

  5. #5
    Rugby Club Member Treadmore's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Dorchester
    Grade
    -
    Join Date
    11 Nov 08
    Posts
    398

    Default Re: PK after the try - with a difference

    Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    Time may have expired as you say....but the half hadn't ended!
    Maybe but this is after a try has been scored, but ball is dead when infringment occurs. After try is scored ref allows time for conversion but not the penalty
    as well.

    That's how I read it :-)

  6. #6

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    12,975

    Default Re: PK after the try - with a difference

    the only question I have is if this had occurred at the end of the 2nd half, what would the referee have done?
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

  7. #7

    Referees in New Zealand
    Ian_Cook's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    12 Jul 05
    Posts
    13,522

    Default Re: PK after the try - with a difference

    Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    I can understand the logic...but I think it is an error.

    Edit. ..In your scenario should a penalty try have been awarded?
    It can't be a PT because it doesn't meet the criteria. A try had already been awarded so there was no foul play that prevented a probable try, nor was there any foul play that prevented the probable scoring of a try in a better position.
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

  8. #8

    Referees in New Zealand
    Ian_Cook's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    12 Jul 05
    Posts
    13,522

    Default Re: PK after the try - with a difference

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    the only question I have is if this had occurred at the end of the 2nd half, what would the referee have done?

    Yeah, that was my thought as well.

    I think that is game over... the law allows for the PK at the next restart - there is a restart after half time, but not after full time.
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 28-02-21 at 02:02.
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

  9. #9
    Coach/Referee

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    03 May 13
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: PK after the try - with a difference

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    It can't be a PT because it doesn't meet the criteria. A try had already been awarded so there was no foul play that prevented a probable try, nor was there any foul play that prevented the probable scoring of a try in a better position.
    OK. ..was wondering whether the try could possibly have been scored in a more advantageous position.

  10. #10

    Referees in England
    Balones's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Join Date
    24 Oct 06
    Posts
    1,008

    Default Re: PK after the try - with a difference

    How is this for a left field idea. As the offence was when play had stopped why not let the non-offending side play a ‘joker’ and decide for themselves when to take the penalty. (On half way line of course.) The only constraint being that they can’t take it at a penalty when they have offended. We already give an option to a side as to where they can take a penalty at a repeat offence so why not introduced a degree of ‘when’?
    Tongue firmly in cheek.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •