Thread: Sonja drama

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Default Re: Sonja drama

There are two questions
    1 did she do a decent set of interviews?
    I thought they were OK.

2 does anyone deserve the abuse she got on twitter ?
    Obv not

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by dave_clark View Post
    i think the key question is whether a male pundit would have had the same level of abuse. if they would have, then i can understand the argument being made above of "if you can't stand the heat... etc". whether or not i agree with it, i can understand it.

if however a male wouldn't have received the same level, that's a different thing.

i make no comment about this particular situation.
    the trolling is pure misogyny. A scourge of society and a disgrace to any who fail to condemn it. I’m disgusted by it in the same way I’m disgusted by some of the comments on the forum about it.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    apparently there are a few seconds of video where he is not clapping the Welsh
    I noticed that. And some folk on social media suggested that warrants being killed?
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Central Australian Rugby Referees
    Grade
    B3

"Sonja, that was shit interview" - perfectly acceptable, for it was a statement of fact*

"Sonja, that was a shit interview and a woman has no place discussing men's rugby" - very far over the line.

*OOAA
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    the trolling is pure misogyny.
    this is only true if the trolling is solely directed at a woman/women. I doubt that to be the case but would be interested if there is any evidence to support.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Bay of Plenty
    Grade
    Secondary School

All I have seen from this game are the controversies. 3 I make it.

The interview was appalling. It deserved to be called appalling. She should be at risk of losing her job for it in my opinion.

The abuse was unnecessary and counterproductive. The focus has moved from how terrible the interview was to the abuse she received.
    "There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - Dick Jeeps

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by damo View Post

The interview was appalling. It deserved to be called appalling. She should be at risk of losing her job for it in my opinion.

The abuse was unnecessary and counterproductive. The focus has moved from how terrible the interview was to the abuse she received.
    gosh, what was so appalling that she actually deserved to lose her job???

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by damo View Post

OK. A question. Do you think she has intentionally deflected any criticism of the terrible interview by drawing attention to her emotional response to the abuse?

I worked in HR long enough to recognise when a woman was employing emotional manipulation by turning on the waterworks. Is that what we are seeing here?

If your maleness blinkers you to this, ask your wife/significant other what she thinks.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    the trolling is pure misogyny. A scourge of society and a disgrace to any who fail to condemn it. I’m disgusted by it in the same way I’m disgusted by some of the comments on the forum about it.
    Misogyny?

You want to see the hate that John Inverdale gets.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by damo

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    OK. A question. Do you think she has intentionally deflected any criticism of the terrible interview by drawing attention to her emotional response to the abuse?

I worked in HR long enough to recognise when a woman was employing emotional manipulation by turning on the waterworks. Is that what we are seeing here?

If your maleness blinkers you to this, ask your wife/significant other what she thinks.
    None of your post contradicts Damo's. Everything he says is true. No one deserves death threats for being crap at their job, especially since, in part, she was only following orders.

Did she add to the drama by playing the victim? Possibly, but that changes none of damo's post.

The English player did not do the "rugby thing" by failing to respect the traditions of rugby Did he deserve death threats following it? No he did not.

Did he cry in his car? Well he's not tweeted about it.

Did he play on the "minority card? Not to my knowledge.

Did he handle the situation better than the hack? It looks like but I don't kwow how thelevel / amount of abuse compares as I've not seen any.

Were death threats fair to either? No.

Does the Hack deserve the sack? We not for these 4 interviews. By quite possibly considering the years of crap that has flowed into the microphone from said hack.
    Last edited by Marc Wakeham; 03-03-21 at 06:03.

Thread Information