Thread: new Head Contact Process

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Default new Head Contact Process

https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/guidelines/17

we've just had a training session on this. Looks like we're moving from "all head contact to be eliminated" to "meh, sometimes shit happens"
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR

Default Re: new Head Contact Process

Much better system - esp as if dangerous or reckless we still revert to the old system. Its like the contact in the air a few years back - go stupid to start with then get more realistic

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan

I think the process is good - but it should be in the law book. Though at least now the guidelines are on the same set of web pages and not hidden in a locked filing cabinet ....

I also note it uses Defender to mean the team not in possession. In "‘Friendly fire’ as the two defenders clash heads" England are in possession but are in their own half. I think we need to change that definition and rewrite the laws that use it - in goal and who gets the scrum.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

appreciating this is being a bit facaetious but there doesnt appear to be penalties for players taking their own player out in the air, or striking their own player's head with force...
    Last edited by didds; 23-03-21 at 15:03.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Camquin View Post
    I think the process is good - but it should be in the law book. Though at least now the guidelines are on the same set of web pages and not hidden in a locked filing cabinet ....

I also note it uses Defender to mean the team not in possession. In "‘Friendly fire’ as the two defenders clash heads" England are in possession but are in their own half. I think we need to change that definition and rewrite the laws that use it - in goal and who gets the scrum.
    I think the terms should be abandoned.

changing the definition so that attacking = in possession brings its own problems - eg you have a lineout or scrum on your own 5m line ---- emotionally you really don't feel like you are 'attacking'

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

I wish World Rugby would indicate where the decision in the video was incorrect. The use of multiple examples is good - why don't they do this in the law book?

Thread Information