Thread: Sonja drama

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Default Re: Sonja drama

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    But she's surely guided/encouraged in that direction by her employers (or was selected for that), so the fault is not entirely hers.
    surely she has peronal professional integrity? And "Only following orders" is no excuse.

didds

I don't think you can think of this in isolation. There is a growing feeling coming from sport (and elsewhere) that the abuse on social media needs tcurtailing.

I think that RFU response (and the death threats to Genge) are examples of growing demand for the online abusers to be controlled

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    My take - not a million pence from 2 from the rest of you all.

1) the internet abuse is thoroughly unacceptable
    2) the questioning was intended to elicit a controversial answer, not a better understanding of the game.
    3) She WAS baiting - by all means ask the question once - but having receved a straight bat/refusal to engage, just re asking the same question is baiting.
    4) Asking AWJ if he should have asked the ref to reject/overturn the first try/ Really?
    5) This wasn't journalism - this is red top rubbish. If that truly will be the level of post match interviews what's the point? What's next - asking a player about their sick family members and how it affected their performance etc ?
    6) There may be a team of people responsible for the questions. She is repsonsible for her personal integrity. "I was only following orders" is not an excuse.

To reiterate - the online abuse is throughly unacceptable. The rest of it is a storm in a teacup.

Can we talk about rugby now?
    Excellent post.

Prehaps rather then the "if you can't stand the heat..." tueism a better on e here might be "if you poke the Cobra don't be surprised when it strikes". A lot of today's so called journalists are happy to bully and badger people but cry and play the victim when the actual victim bites back.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    I think that is not reasonable. I only saw the Farrell piece but the interviewer would know full well that Farrell would have got a big smack from WR or RFU if he'd answered those questions honestly.

But it wasn't the questions per se that intrigued me - lots of interviewers will try to bait an interviewee.

It was the turning on the waterworks with "I cried in my car" reaction to being called out (albeit with venom).

And the RFU responding to the tears with the "there, there, it's not you, it's them".
    And what is wrong with showing emotion and that prompting support from her employer and the RFU for the unacceptable abuse? Just because no-one else has been brave enough to go public with the impact this trolling has on them does not make it any more acceptable.

You seem to be implying there is some weakness or something wrong in crying and showing the impact. There is not, its showing the real cost and impact of the trolling.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    Excellent post.

Prehaps rather then the "if you can't stand the heat..." tueism a better on e here might be "if you poke the Cobra don't be surprised when it strikes". A lot of today's so called journalists are happy to bully and badger people but cry and play the victim when the actual victim bites back.
    i think actually she poked the cobra, the cobra ignored her - or perhaps we heard the tiniest of hisses - and then she got completely roasted on twitter who accused her of cruelty to cobras.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    surely she has peronal professional integrity? And "Only following orders" is no excuse.
    Agreed, I said "not entirely hers" meaning she shares the blame with others

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    And what is wrong with showing emotion and that prompting support from her employer and the RFU for the unacceptable abuse?
    I've not seen the abuse, only that she found it unacceptable. There's a huge continuum of hostility, from "that interview wasn't much good" to "this **** is going get what's coming to them" - I think Dickie's wondering whether it's an overreaction to the mild end. Twitter's a cesspool at the best of times... but a public figure using it as a means of communication has to expect some degree of hostility. Just like Eddie Jones and Owen Farrell aren't expected to turn the waterworks on at the first sign of tough questioning.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

[QUOTE=Rich_NL;373099]Agreed, I said "not entirely hers" meaning she shares the blame with others

I understood wghat tyou meant :-)

My point being I can be your superior and order you to do something. But if your personal integrity means you are not happy with that you should be able to say no. Because otherwise we are in the "I was only followign orders" mentality - and that isnt acceptable.

Maybe she has no personal intergity of course because she is all part of the same shit3 modern "journalism" mkachine that seeks controversy over truth.

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7

Quote Originally Posted by Thisone View Post
    I don't think you can think of this in isolation. There is a growing feeling coming from sport (and elsewhere) that the abuse on social media needs tcurtailing.

I think that RFU response (and the death threats to Genge) are examples of growing demand for the online abusers to be controlled
    What?
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Lifeson-Peart View Post
    What?
    apparently there are a few seconds of video where he is not clapping the Welsh

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Club
    Grade
    interested bystander

i think the key question is whether a male pundit would have had the same level of abuse. if they would have, then i can understand the argument being made above of "if you can't stand the heat... etc". whether or not i agree with it, i can understand it.

if however a male wouldn't have received the same level, that's a different thing.

i make no comment about this particular situation.
    Hi. I'm Barry Scott.

Thread Information