Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonja drama

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Default Re: Sonja drama

You guys! Still clinging on to the prehistoric idea that if a victim doesn't complain then nothing much can be wrong, and if a victim does complain, they are no longer a victim, but a cunning manipulator. Note that the persecutors escape scrutiny either way.

on the SM case particularly .. still looking for some sort of reasoned analysis about why you consider the interviews so bad .
    Last edited by crossref; 03-03-21 at 06:03.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    None of your post contradicts Damo's.
    no, and nor was it meant to
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Bay of Plenty
    Grade
    Secondary School

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    OK. A question. Do you think she has intentionally deflected any criticism of the terrible interview by drawing attention to her emotional response to the abuse?

I worked in HR long enough to recognise when a woman was employing emotional manipulation by turning on the waterworks. Is that what we are seeing here?

If your maleness blinkers you to this, ask your wife/significant other what she thinks.
    To be honest I am not sure. I would hope not but as a Family Lawyer I know exactly what you mean about deflection.

What I have read is (according to the BBC):

On Saturday evening, McLaughlan, an experienced and well-respected reporter for the BBC, revealed she had been left in tears by the abuse. She posted on Twitter: “Toxic, embarrassing, disgraceful, appalling. Just some of the feedback I’ve had. Thanks for using @ sign so it’s all hit home … Now imagine getting inundated with abuse for doing your job. In my car crying. Hope you’re happy.”
    I suspect most media people get called the equivalent of toxic or disgraceful or appalling on a regular basis. It's not acceptable but it happens. I wonder if the comments this week were all that much worse than normal.
    "There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - Dick Jeeps

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Normal on twitter does not mean acceptable

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Bay of Plenty
    Grade
    Secondary School

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    gosh, what was so appalling that she actually deserved to lose her job???
    Repetitive base trolling. Far below the level I would expect from a sports reporter.

Do you not agree.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't say that it did. That's not the point I was making.
    "There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - Dick Jeeps

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

This, and it will only get worse because there is no consequence for actions that in other walks of life would be illegal, or at the very least dealt with by society

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

she wont lose her job for the stupid line of repeated questioning because as others have said she is part of a team pushing the questions, she is just the mouthpiece for that team.

If we realy have a problem with it ourselves we shoud just never watch said interviews. (I generally don't - i just happened to catch 30 seconds of it as the TV was still on when I walked into the room to check our poorly dog.). Unfortunately that wont make any difference as the millions of others will do so cos they WANT the controversy (over enlightening information about the game - which never hapopens anwyay)

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Central Australian Rugby Referees
    Grade
    B3

Let's separate out the allegations about her trolling from just being bad at her job.

I have never, in all my years of watching sport, heard a reporter ask a captain if he ever thought of going to the referee to have one of his scores over turned. Even the dodgiest of decisions, I've never heard that question. For someone who wants to be treated as a serious sports reporter that was just crassly bad.

The rest of it smacked as someone trying to get a 'gotcha' moment. No way would OF or EJ lambast the referee; if for one moment she got them to say that, they would be in a world of disciplinary trouble.

I just call that shit reporting, tbh.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7

I saw the interviews with OF and EJ at the time and it struck me SML was trying to get a reaction of a "we woz robbed" kind from the both/either. There was also an attempt to get a reaction to particular player(s) inability to not concede PKs. I'm not sure if SML has a mandate to ask what she wants or gets an editorial steer. It was uncomfortable viewing but I was impressed by OF who kept it together when he appeared to be seething. There may be questions marks about his and other team members' leadership qualities but I couldn't fault his TREDS post match. Certainly the DS bit. I saw the Martin Johnson/Sam Warburton bits with Gabby Logan later (not live) and thought MJ was equally restrained. SW just looked like he was trying not to to piss himself laughing.

I sent a message to my sons (WhatsApp) which was critical of SML or rather her line of questioning - I'm not on social media - but was more complimentary about OF/EJ for not rising to it. I was a bit critical of EG and the clapping (lack of) too.

SML also prodded AWJ to suggest Wales had been lucky and he swerved that one nicely.

I saw a written piece by Matt Dawson on the BBC website which was very critical of England and the lack of on-field leadership. Did MD cop for some?

I think the abuse SML has suffered is par for the course on social media from what I understand in my sheltered world and I suspect the abuse would have been far less had England won. Football has its weekly appalling episodes of racist abuse, RL has had death threats made against referees and now RU gets its time in the spotlight - all on social media - I'd not be bothered if Mark Zuckerberg et al disappeared down a huge yellow toilet tomorrow.

It's not good but I don't profess to know what to do about it.
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2

You guys! Still clinging on to the prehistoric idea that if a victim doesn't complain then nothing much can be wrong, and if a victim does complain, they are no longer a victim, but a cunning manipulator. Note that the persecutors escape scrutiny either way.

on the SM case particularly .. still looking for some sort of reasoned analysis about why you consider the interviews so bad .
    I don't think anyone's sticking up for the persecutors, there's unanimous agreement that personal abuse is completely out of line. But was "toxic, embarrassing, disgraceful, appalling" applied to her, or female reporters in general, or the interview? I've not seen the context, but she complained about being criticised "just for doing her job", not for being a woman, her appearance, not belonging in a man's world, etc. (which seems odd, given her strong desire to whip up opinion against the referee for doing his job).

If the criticism was about her abilities as a journalist, would you rather nobody were allowed to voice negative opinions on journalism or cultural matters because someone's feelings will be hurt? If Martin Amis tweets that a negative review on his new book made him cry, should we condemn the critic?

The questions were ridiculous, they put the interviewees in a position where they could only answer negatively for fear of sanction by WR and so provided no information. The one to EJ was an outright lie, as far as I could see - leading that OF was furious with the ref's decision when he hadn't said anything of the sort. All three interviewees were being goaded towards saying Gauzere's performance was terrible - even asking the winning captain if he should have contradicted the ref! It's inane, uninformative, and comes over as rabble-rousing tabloid nonsense. The only information that came out of it was due to the interviewees ignoring her questions and finding something else to talk about.

Edit: In the replies to a tweet from during the game
    https://twitter.com/Sonjamclaughlan/...15332913102856
    there are several criticising the quality of the interview (including "disgraceful"), but nothing personal against her. There are several deleted tweets though, with implications that they're personally directed.
    Last edited by Rich_NL; 03-03-21 at 10:03.

Thread Information