Thread: Sonja drama

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Default Re: Sonja drama

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    Let's separate out the allegations about her trolling from just being bad at her job.

I have never, in all my years of watching sport, heard a reporter ask a captain if he ever thought of going to the referee to have one of his scores over turned. Even the dodgiest of decisions, I've never heard that question. For someone who wants to be treated as a serious sports reporter that was just crassly bad.

The rest of it smacked as someone trying to get a 'gotcha' moment. No way would OF or EJ lambast the referee; if for one moment she got them to say that, they would be in a world of disciplinary trouble.

I just call that shit reporting, tbh.
    But Farrell DID go to the referee to ask that the score be overturned!!!

So why's that such a poor question ?
    Last edited by crossref; 03-03-21 at 12:03.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    she wont lose her job for the stupid line of repeated questioning because as others have said she is part of a team pushing the questions, she is just the mouthpiece for that team.
    y)
    so the question was OK - but was repeated too much ? That's what it amounts to ?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post

The questions were ridiculous, they put the interviewees in a position where they could only answer negatively for fear of sanction by WR and so provided no information. The one to EJ was an outright lie, as far as I could see - leading that OF was furious with the ref's decision when he hadn't said anything of the sort. All three interviewees were being goaded towards saying Gauzere's performance was terrible - even asking the winning captain if he should have contradicted the ref! It's inane, uninformative, and comes over as rabble-rousing tabloid nonsense. The only information that came out of it was due to the interviewees ignoring her questions and finding something else to talk about.

perhaps what is ridiculous is the strict gag that WR have applied, rendering EJ and OF unable to answer questions about the major talking points of the match. ( Eddie himself said something similar). That's the point in reporters asking.

If she *hadn't * asked about the refereeing it would have been a very odd interview. The refereeing was the main talking point (and continues to be)

I thought OF and EJ answered the questions well, and I did not think they were bothered by them . Did they complain ?

If someone couldn't handle (or was offended by) that line of questioning they certainly shouldn't be doing press interviews. What questions did they expect ? (of course they DID expect those questions, and answered very steadily)
    Last edited by crossref; 03-03-21 at 12:03.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2

You're missing the point completely, in the same way she appeared to. Whether an interview is good or not doesn't depend on whether the interviewees were bothered/offended (which is largely irrelevant), but whether it gives insight into the game or the people involved.

All we learned from this is that rugby professionals aren't easily baited to bash match officials. Which, given the dramatic reversals in fortune this Six Nations, is a very, very uninteresting point, IMO.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

You're missing the point completely, in the same way she appeared to. Whether an interview is good or not doesn't depend on whether the interviewees were bothered/offended (which is largely irrelevant), but whether it gives insight into the game or the people involved.

All we learned from this is that rugby professionals aren't easily baited to bash match officials. Which, given the dramatic reversals in fortune this Six Nations, is a very, very uninteresting point, IMO.
    So you are saying she shouldn't have mentioned the refereeing ?
    Or she was right to ask, but should have moved on earlier ?

Yes I am missing the point . I am trying to get to the bottom of why this interview exactly why this interview was so "appalling" she should be fired.

You said it was "Uninteresting" which seems quite a mild charge.
    I would say it definitely wasn't that ! Uninteresting doesn't provoke a Twitter storm
    Last edited by crossref; 03-03-21 at 13:03.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2

Are you deliberately twisting my words? I've already explained why it was a bad interview, and since you replied to that you must have read it. "Uninteresting" refers to the only positive thing that we could take from it.

Knowing what can and can't be said about refereeing, she should indeed have asked about their reactions to the decisions. Some controversial decisions, how did that affect the team/how you saw the game?, for example. "Were England robbed by poor officiating?" is not looking for insight, it's prodding for outbursts. If you want to gaze around in wide-eyed innocence at how someone could possibly find that a bad question, I'm not too interested in forcing you to think anything you're unwilling to entertain.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    But Farrell DID go to the referee to ask that the score be overturned!!!

Except he didnt.

He made a point about water carriers on the pitch.

Then he said you've got to give us time to set/settle (cant quite make out that last word.)

But he never once said that the ref had to overturn the score. Seemed to me he was pointing out safety - EQUITY - laws.

Crap awareness by England, really poor game management by the ref.

The two people who really do deserve credit that appear to have been forgotten mostly in all this are biggar and Williams who were on the ball. (literally).

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Well, didn't Farrel want him to TMO it with a view to reversing ?
    Or was it just a pointless moan ?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Are you deliberately twisting my words? I've already explained why it was a bad interview, and since you replied to that you must have read it. "Uninteresting" refers to the only positive thing that we could take from it.

Knowing what can and can't be said about refereeing, she should indeed have asked about their reactions to the decisions. Some controversial decisions, how did that affect the team/how you saw the game?, for example. "Were England robbed by poor officiating?" is not looking for insight, it's prodding for outbursts. If you want to gaze around in wide-eyed innocence at how someone could possibly find that a bad question, I'm not too interested in forcing you to think anything you're unwilling to entertain.
    For me her questions were perfectly reasonable, but she could have moved on more quickly.

The interview was not the best ever, but certainly not appalling
    7/10 with some learning points

I really don't think you have explained what was SO bad about it

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    For me her questions were perfectly reasonable, but she could have moved on more quickly.

The interview was not the best ever, but certainly not appalling
    7/10 with some learning points

I really don't think you have explained what was SO bad about it
    For me, I'd term it 'not very good' rather than 'awful' but otherwise agree with Rich.

It was the sort of thing you'd expect from ITV, rather than the BBC.

No attempt to gain any insight, then pressing the matter did seem more like trying to catch someone saying something they'd later regret.

IMO, a much better line of questioning would have been about how did England recover from these incidents, what effect it had on the team, or whether he felt England should have changed tactics - something that you wouldn't necessarily know from just watching the game. And to be fair, every man and his dog knew Farrell was pissed off at the ref!

Thread Information