Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

Default Re: Sonja drama

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    1. Paywall.
    2. Every single reaction from everyone in the media has been protective of SM. It's in their self interest to do so.
    3. False equivalence. The only answer she would have been satisfied with would have been the one that got OF or EJ into trouble. She's well enough versed in rugby to know that, and still pursued it. She has the right to pursue it if she wants, just like she has the right to Ask A-WJ really stupid questions. She doesn't have the right to do that and not expect comments or criticism for it.

NAIL - ON - HEAD. Particularly the bit in bold.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    NAIL - ON - HEAD. Particularly the bit in bold.
    Have you read it ?

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

The criticism she is receiving far outweighs any errors she may (or may not) have made in her interviewing. This all stems from discrimination. A make interviewer would not be treated in the same way. Those attacking her should be ashamed of themselves and look long and hard at their motives for doing so.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Have you read it ?
    Yes I have.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    A make interviewer would not be treated in the same way.
    how would you know that? Why wouldn't the Brian Moore's get an equal barrage?

The difference here is that she has then weaponised her feminine frailties and the usual suspects have come to the defence of the damsel in distrees. All very medieval.

This is a comment from the wales on line article that sums it up well:

Im not on Twitter so havent been able to judge whether this was an attempt to deflect valid criticism or was actual abuse but would a male presenter under the same circumstances, say publicly that he was crying in his car and hoped this made people happy? As women, we have striven for the right to do the same jobs as men, for the same rewards as men. I personally feel that we should not be exempt or protected from the negative parts of those jobs if men too arent exempt or protected from them.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Central Australian Rugby Referees
    Grade
    B3

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    The criticism she is receiving far outweighs any errors she may (or may not) have made in her interviewing. This all stems from discrimination. A make interviewer would not be treated in the same way. Those attacking her should be ashamed of themselves and look long and hard at their motives for doing so.
    Im pretty sure Healey gets heaps. Stuart Barnes certainly did.
    I didn’t attack her on Twitter, only here. I think criticism of her is warranted. The problem with Twitter is that each piece of criticism can be justified on an individual basis. The aggregation effect serves only to make it seem worse.

I have only limited sympathy. Live by the Twitter, die by the Twitter.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2

There are separate issues here.

1: Was SM pilloried because she is :

A: A crap hack or
    B: A Woman who is a crap hack (A males crap hack would not get the same treatment or
    C: A woman

Then a different focus:

2: Irrespective of A, B & C was the Social media critique acceptable?

For me the answer:

To 1 is A

To 2 is some of it was.

ABUSE is wrong always. However, If you live by the sword thn yes you tend to die by it. SM felt if was appropriate t otry an goad (whether at her emplyers behest or not) 4 people in to breaching Rugby's code of conduct but getting them to be critical of a match official whilst in an emptional state.

To their credit BOTH captains and Both coaches refused to be goaded. Despite this a poor hack pessed on with futile attempts to "gt a story".

Stuart Barnes ha received similar reponses on Twitter. To his credit (and i never thought I'd say that about that pillock!) he has not "publically" cried about the unfair treatment he suffered. IF you don't want people to be angry why anger them?

All that said I return to the point that the BBC is equally liable. Thy obviously wanted SM to persure that pointless line of goading and they pay the piper. Many years ago I contacted Sky to complain about Barnes. My basic point was he should get the laws right before claiming the referees were getting them wrong. I was told "he's not there to inform he's there to entertain". So The media's policy would seems to be, "never mind the truth stoke the fire".

What ever the "blame split", NO ONE deserves death threats. NO ONE!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Barnes "lives by the sword", he's a Piers Morgan figure, writing deliberately provocative pieces to get a reaction.
    don't know that SM "lives by the sword" ....
    Last edited by crossref; 10-03-21 at 09:03.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    So The media's policy would seems to be, "never mind the truth stoke the fire".
    Yes. And has been for years/decades. Another reason why these interviews are a total nonsense.

didds

Thread Information