Thread: Italy v Wales massive refereeing controversy

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Italy v Wales massive refereeing controversy

Great game by Wayne Barnes. I really liked his way of saying how everything was, it made,it all so clear. I don't think there was one decision where I was left thinking "huh?"

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11

Default Re: Italy v Wales massive refereeing controversy

I agree. His communications were excellent all the way through. Particularly liked his talking through of the second yellow and the way he dealt with that.
    Probably could have gone to his pocket again for Italy’s repeat offending, but glad that he didn’t as it wouldn’t have made any difference to the match other than making it even more one sided. .

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    I agree. His communications were excellent all the way through. Particularly liked his talking through of the second yellow and the way he dealt with that.
    It was clear communication, but for the second yellow it seemed like he was talking a lot to avoid giving a red. Give your opinion enough times in a clear way, no one will challenge you and you don’t really give the TMO any option but to agree. I thought it was direct contact to the neck.

Now that was one of those where you could probably mitigate down to yellow anyway, however Barnes seemed to try everything to avoid saying it was neck contact.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

I felt the Italian was fortunate. He led with the arm and it was very close to, if not quite, direct to the neck. Sympathetic management possibly.

Under the law and guidelines as written Barnes was possibly wrong. However, under "good old let the ref referee the game" principles it wa a tidy call.

Thread Information