Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: England v France

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    ex-Manchester & District
    Grade
    Level 10

Default England v France

France's first try. Was Dupont's tap forward different from tapping the ball over a defender to regather and score?
    Last edited by timmad; 13-03-21 at 17:03.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Re: England v France

Wondered the exact same thing!

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    ex-Manchester & District
    Grade
    Level 10

France's second try (am I coming across as a biased England fan?). Interesting to see Fikou's starting position at the line-out as the ball left the thrower's hand - 10 metres?
    Last edited by timmad; 13-03-21 at 18:03.

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by timmad View Post
    France's first try. Was Dupont's tap forward different from tapping the ball over a defender to regather and score?
    For me it's not clear that he tapped it over a defender and therefore I'm happy to say he was legal.
    If it's shown that he did in fact tap it over the defender and gain an advantage by doing so then I believe it would be illegal.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    ex-Manchester & District
    Grade
    Level 10

Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    For me it's not clear that he tapped it over a defender and therefore I'm happy to say he was legal.
    If it's shown that he did in fact tap it over the defender and gain an advantage by doing so then I believe it would be illegal.
    Does that also beg the question: How far can you tap the ball forward and recover it?
    I speak as someone who began playing in the days before the 'adjustment' was allowed.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer

When does it become a forward pass to yourself is another question? I’ve always judged it to be arms length and not over anybody. This was close on both accounts.

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    When does it become a forward pass to yourself is another question? I’ve always judged it to be arms length and not over anybody. This was close on both accounts.
    I don't think judging it based on distance is appropriate.
    I think the context is more relevant.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

I’d like to take this in another direction. Last 2 minutes, England receive a penalty for France holding on. After a couple of replays the referee changes the penalty to France for England off feet.

Now I think it was probably the right decision as the England player was on his forearms before he got on the ball, however is the referee allowed to change a decision in this way?

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    I’d like to take this in another direction. Last 2 minutes, England receive a penalty for France holding on. After a couple of replays the referee changes the penalty to France for England off feet.

Now I think it was probably the right decision as the England player was on his forearms before he got on the ball, however is the referee allowed to change a decision in this way?
    Rather than asking " is the referee allowed to change a decision in this way" try asking 'why not'!
    The referee is acknowledged as being the sole judge of fact! Surely that is enough!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post

Equity trumps process? The referee has to be allowed to change his mind (because to do otherwise would be perverse, regardless of a tight interpretation of 6.14). However it should be his decision, other than issues within the remit of ARs, TJs or TMO (6.13-6.15).
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Thread Information