Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reviewing the Video with the TMO and other officials.

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Reviewing the Video with the TMO and other officials.

In the Wales England game yesterday, the ref called “time on.” Biggar delivers a kick on a sixpence and Adams scores. Farrell was up in arms. The whole word becomes rugby keyboard warriors. Could the ref have changed his mind if he'd asked for video footage to assess the situation? Could either of the assistant referees and/or the TMO intervened at all? What are the rules (if any) on refs changing their minds? And could the ref have used video footage in this case to come to the correct decision? I would appreciate an erudite answer, please, with the relevant laws explained. In addition, has anything similar happened before and what was the outcome?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NLMOT PR

Default Re: Reviewing the Video with the TMO and other officials.

The referee did come to the ‘correct’ decision in law. The question you may be asking is if a referee can change a decision based on what he/she thinks is ‘fair’? Fair to whom? The referee and probably the England players thought that Biggar was going to take an easy shot at goal. Possibly the reason why the England players were dawdling. Would it have have been ‘fair’ to Wales because Biggar caught them out with quick thinking? Especially as it was England that had originally offended and had been warned about repeat and negative offending. Which team deserved to be treated fairly in such circumstances? Do we need the game slowing down even more? Could the England captain have had a quick word with his players instead of having a team talk and giving his players a rest while they had been under pressure. Is giving a team a ‘rest’ to reorganise something we want in the game?

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

I don’t think the TMO or AR’s can do anything, it’s down to the ref when time is on and off, and Wales did nothing wrong in law either, time was on, they were alert, they scored.

Could the ref? Maybe, but at this point he’s done for. Sometimes it’s better, certainly in the sticks to do a “sorry lads, cocked up” but at this level? He’s made a decision, he’s backed himself, he may genuinely not think there’s an issue, who knows but he’ll get feedback!

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

I think it was a poor call by the ref. Forget penalties & dawdling. If the ref blows time off (eg for an injury) then trainers are allowed on and both teams should be allowed sensible notice when time goes back on.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NLMOT PR

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    I think it was a poor call by the ref. Forget penalties & dawdling. If the ref blows time off (eg for an injury) then trainers are allowed on and both teams should be allowed sensible notice when time goes back on.
    I think everyone is in agreement with what you have said.
    Now define ‘sensible notice’. (Once you have finished defining ‘immediate’ of course.)

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    I think everyone is in agreement with what you have said.
    Now define ‘sensible notice’. (Once you have finished defining ‘immediate’ of course.)
    Let's say it was an injury & the restart was a lineout. The ref should allow both teams the opportunity to get their lineouts & backlines set before allowing the throw. Making sure trainers were off the pitch would be a good start.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NLMOT PR

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    Let's say it was an injury & the restart was a lineout. The ref should allow both teams the opportunity to get their lineouts & backlines set before allowing the throw. Making sure trainers were off the pitch would be a good start.
    Yes, but how long should the ‘opportunity’ be?
    Don’t worry Dickie, I’m just bring pedantic for the sake of it. I’m in a frivolous mood this morning. Partly due to Wales getting the result and partly due to the fact that I don’t have any assessment reports to write up myself due to no appointments being given to PRs.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan

There is a huge difference between stopping the clock for an injury and telling a captain to take a minute to talk to the troops.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Camquin View Post
    There is a huge difference between stopping the clock for an injury and telling a captain to take a minute to talk to the troops.
    Why is there? if in both situations the sole arbiter of time has suspended the game and explicitly announced "time off" (as happened on Saturday), surely the management of putting time back on should be the same?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan

Because by taking time off, the ref has disadvantaged the NON-OFFENDING team who otherwise had the right to go quickly.
    The OFFENDING team do NOT get to use that time to set - only to pass the message.

That is why a ref who was fluent in english would use a phrase like "take a minute to tell your team" to emphasise they have limited time.
    The message Owen need to pass was "Final worning lads, discipline" which takes 10 sesconds and does not need a huddle and drinks carriers. The problem was they expected Wales to kick and had switched off - just as they did later for the third try.

And I am English to the core. Although technically being able to claim a NZ passport due to an accident of my mothers's birth.

Thread Information