Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time to take a penalty.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer

Default Time to take a penalty.

It used to be that you had to take a penalty within one minute after indicating an attempt on goal. Has this been removed? In the Scotland/Ireland match today Sexton was taking well over this time. (78.5secs for the kick just before half time.) The 90 seconds for a conversion is still there in the laws.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade

Default Re: Time to take a penalty.

kickers have been taking the p*ss for years now, another area of the game which should be tightened up on.
    Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer

The first Sexton penalty of the second half took 83 seconds and the ‘winning’ penalty took 87. I started taking the time after getting a feeling early on that he was taking longer than I thought was usual. We had the situation that at some of the Irish penalties we had two plus minutes before the ball was struck after the penalty was awarded. Even scrums aren’t taking that long and we moan about them!

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    ex-Manchester & District
    Grade
    Level 10

And when they're not kicking for goal, penalty takers appear to regard the mark they are given as an approximate point from which they can amble forward and / or increase the angle to touch before booting it from 5 metres or more in front. One warning, then a scrum to the opposition?

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by ctrainor View Post
    kickers have been taking the p*ss for years now, another area of the game which should be tightened up on.

They've been TtP for years because refs let them.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer

I realise that it is law 8.21. I was a bit tongue in cheek when asking if it had been removed. We seem to have far too many laws that appeared to have gone out of favour as far as being applied are concerned.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    We had the situation that at some of the Irish penalties we had two plus minutes before the ball was struck after the penalty was awarded.
    But the timer doesn't start from when the penalty is awarded. It starts from the team indicating they wish to kick at goal.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer

Default Re: Time to take a penalty

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    But the timer doesn't start from when the penalty is awarded. It starts from the team indicating they wish to kick at goal.
    Yes I realise that. The times I took were from that moment. I am just saying that from the moment the whistle was blown, overall the time was longer than it took for most scrums to be completed and yet we moan about the amount of time they take up in a game.

In fact my timer started when the referee indicated posts so the confirmation by the kicker was a second or two before that.
    Last edited by Balones; 15-03-21 at 10:03.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Time to take a penalty

Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    Yes I realise that. The times I took were from that moment. I am just saying that from the moment the whistle was blown, overall the time was longer than it took for most scrums to be completed and yet we moan about the amount of time they take up in a game.

In fact my timer started when the referee indicated posts so the confirmation by the kicker was a second or two before that.
    Thanks for clarifying.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

It’s a very simple thing for a referee to manage. Warn the kicker they have 60 seconds, tell them at 30 and 15. You’re unlikely to penalise them first time they go over the time limit, but if you want them and they do it again, penalise.

At the rope level there is clearly no drive from WR to enforce this. A referee that blew for this would be hauled over the coals in the press and by assessors. Therefore it won’t stop at the top levels.

Thread Information