Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: France Vs Wales

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Default Re: France Vs Wales

Wadr to balones, that last sentence sums up so much that is wrong with this level of rugby.

That had LP continued to issue cards then HE would have created a complete debacle.. There is no similar blame levelled at the players who CHEAT, attracting a card, from creating a complete debacle by getting carded for cheating.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Meanwhile I am au fait that you guys advise against the threat of next one goes... but it's clear to me in this 6N and the premiership that this is the exact language used by refs in these competitions.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    OXON
    Grade
    Level 9

I am French so biais
    I personally dont like the "use it" at every ruck. it becomes background noise and lose any relevance.. IMHO ref should be there to facilitate the game, so impose their view on how fast it needs to be played (until it reach a point where the ref thinks there is an issue).
    He got many big calls wrong. 3rd try of Wales is not grounded, but because of the question the TMO can not overrule the decision, Failed to review a potential try from France, and bottle the yellow cards at the end by giving warning without following by the card. The red card is correct, but I would say it should also have been a yellow card for wales because of the number of infringements. And a potential Penalty try for Wales on the collapse maul...
    Great game of rugby overall, but I dont think LP was great.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    Good to see (hear?) - just need to take the next step and enforce the 5 seconds. Couple of times s/h kicked at 7 or 8 seconds.
    Really? Examples? 5 secs is (approximately): "thousand and one, thousand and two, thousand and three, thousand and four, thousand and five" not "one ... two ... three ... four ... five". If being pedantic, it needs to be timed from when the SH hears 'it', not from the spoken 'U'. And of course '5 secs' is for the ball to be out of the ruck, not for it to be kicked!!
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

USe is is required if the players take longer than the precribed maximim time. Would you prefer no warning and a straight whistle?

The only "mistake" (to my Welsh eyes) was the lack of the PT following the collapsed maul. Referring it upstairs would have made sense. But he made his call and was clear and consise in his explanation.

You hightlight between 5 and 10 "errors" from the referee from a minimum of 500 decisions during the game. That is a pretty darn good effort.
    Last edited by Marc Wakeham; 21-03-21 at 11:03.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

I think LP had a "good game", and i like him as a ref full stop. very calm, measured, and clear in his comms.

However, it would be naive to not consider some calls yesterday as not being important/game critical

* The on field call of try for Adams try seeme incongruous in the light of LP's normal approach. I honestly cant see how he could make a soft call of "try" requiring definitive evidence to overturn it.

* the lack of referral for a PT for that immense driving maul.

* the lack of continued cards as Wales continued to offend in the red zone after a warning. Others MMV but "making a mockery of the game by doing so" is not a defence. I appreciate LP is not alone in this scenario.

I reiterate he had a good game. But there are some areas that are less clear as to what the proccesses were.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Red cards are now more common than penalty tries. If that wasn't a penalty try yesterday, what is? I think LP said something like: It wasn't clear to me that a try would have been scored. Whatever happened to 'probable'? Now I know this has never been the mathematical definition of probable, ie 50%+, but we do appear to be nearing the realms of certainty.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

At the risk of disagreeing with everyone apart from belhysys, I thought LP was calling Use it/Jeu too early. At times, the ball was visible, but clearly not playable immediately.

More generally, officials rarely enforce time wasting. Personally, I don't see a need for a second warning. If it were enforced, it would stop.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

Quote Originally Posted by KoolFork View Post
    [...] the mathematical definition of probable, ie 50%+, [...].
    Mathematically, probability is a number between 0 (Impossible) and 1 (Certain).

The referee simply has to make a judgement call, based on the actual circumstances and his experience of such situations. It is generally impossible to calculate a usable probability.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

LP's words to AWJ were, "I'm not convinced a try would have been scored." To me this suggests, LP is looking for too high a threshold. Probable means LIKELY but NOT CERTAIN.

How many times in 10 would you expect that move to have resulted in a try but for foul play?

My point is that the threshold is very high in international rugby. LP's words suggest it is close to a certainty. The law simply says probable, not even highly probable (which has always been the interpretation for as long as I can remember). I agree it is a judgement call.

Thread Information