Thread: France Vs Wales

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer

Default Re: France Vs Wales

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    I think it's acceptable to discuss refereeing mistakes. (I suggested before that the silly ban on discussing referees was a big part of the Sonia controversy)

I'd like to see NO take a wider view. At the moment he seems to comment mainly on the controversial incidents (and the controversial ones are - let's face it - when a mistake may have been made)
    This is exactly what every other commentators talk about and his voice blends in with all the other commentators, save that we pay more attention because he is a great ref (although not necessarily a Laws nause)

I'd like him to perhaps show some special insights .. perhaps there were moments of great refereeing , or great game management that he could see, but passed most people by. Perhaps he would have insights into the ref / captain dynamics
    What were the challenges to the ref ? What were the key moments

To he fair Kaplan does a bit of that

But NO is new to this game, he will get better

(I have to admit i do enjoy his blokey light-hearted YouTube videos !)
    I think it is a case that he responds to the numerous questions he is asked about a particular incident. If he didn’t respond he would probably be accused of avoiding the question. If the rugby public asked more questions about well handled situations I’m sure he would respond accordingly but he does like any of us have to prioritise his time so cannot respond to everything.
    You make a good point about him developing into a new role. It was something I said a few weeks ago in a previous post. I’d hate to see him completely muzzled because of the occasional overstepping of the mark. We’ve nearly all done that, even on this forum probably.
    Listening to the radio today, a presenter said ‘you can’t say anything at all without somebody being upset’. Seems to be a truism.

Anyway, let’s hope for an incident free game between France and Scotland. Or if we are being honest are we hoping for at least one controversial incident so we can again cut loose on this forum? If there is I wouldn’t mind betting that NO will be inundated as well.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

I would like a great big controversial moment, where the referee is proved to be completely correct !

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2

Alain Rolland giving Warburton a red in 2011?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    Alain Rolland giving Warburton a red in 2011?
    That's the one ! Was really ten years ago
    Last edited by crossref; 25-03-21 at 14:03.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    That's the one !
    Especially satisfying after watching Francois Pienaar et al having a cataclysmic meltdown (during the HT interval) at the initial decision!

Ref: Warren Gatland - er yes!

Almost as funny as listening to Jonathan Davies trying to pronounce Imanol Harinordoquy
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

It's quite a good reminder really. At the time, many similar tackles were not even penalised; others got a penalty and others a YC. A red card was a bit different. However, we don't see many tip tackles at the top level any more. I suspect we will see fewer red cards for head collisions as players adjust.

One thing's for sure though. Red cards do spoil the contest.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by KoolFork View Post
    It's quite a good reminder really. At the time, many similar tackles were not even penalised; others got a penalty and others a YC. A red card was a bit different. However, we don't see many tip tackles at the top level any more. I suspect we will see fewer red cards for head collisions as players adjust.

For context - WR had published a memo about tip tackles the previous year (or was it 2009) and AR was following it.
    But it took that incident for people to really take the memo seriously (or notice it)

I am sympathetic to the current trial of letting a RC player be replaced after 20 mins.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by KoolFork View Post
    Nope.

Player illegaility leading to a RC spoils the contest.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Club
    Grade
    interested bystander

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Lifeson-Peart View Post
    Especially satisfying after watching Francois Pienaar et al having a cataclysmic meltdown (during the HT interval) at the initial decision!

Ref: Warren Gatland - er yes!

Almost as funny as listening to Jonathan Davies trying to pronounce Imanol Harinordoquy
    toss up between him or Eddie Butler on that pronunciation i reckon!

back to the Warburton red - i remember ranting at the television about how that was a nailed on red, and how it was a shambles that it was only a yellow. (and upsetting my club chairman by putting a long explanation of why it was right on our club website, which he couldn't remove because i was an admin).

i thought by the end of the game though that the pundits had calmed down somewhat, and had accepted that the red card was correct. maybe that was during the second semi final the next day or the final the following week. it was a long time ago...
    Hi. I'm Barry Scott.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Central Australian Rugby Referees
    Grade
    B3

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    Nope.

Player illegaility leading to a RC spoils the contest.
    Yup. A point that I think Joubert made when he sent that numpty Aussie winger Drew Mitchell off for two yellows for throwing the ball away
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Thread Information