Superb team of 4. Simply superb.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Blog Entries

Default Re: France Vs Wales

and LP'S consistency with calling for the ball to be used as soon as it became available.

Of his own making or was he given the steer beforehand?

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

As LP had already demonstrated that he was prepared to continue giving YCs following his warning to AWJ by giving two for successive PKs ... why no YC for the 3rd PK . Or YC for the 4th?

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11

Absolutely! can’t fault them. Well explained, well managed and ended up with good decisions at almost every point of the game- and there were a lot of big decisions to make.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckieB View Post
    and LP'S consistency with calling for the ball to be used as soon as it became available.

Of his own making or was he given the steer beforehand?
    Good to see (hear?) - just need to take the next step and enforce the 5 seconds. Couple of times s/h kicked at 7 or 8 seconds.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Very well managed, and clear and calm communication.

Couple of calls I didn't really understand... No PT for a driving maul going at pace pulled down 5m out... and in the dying minutes just before the last penalty to France, blue goes offside and puts hands on ball to slow it down, then red player in the SH position was pulled into the ruck, and no penalty.

But yeah, amazing match and very well officiated all round!

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    I am a Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    Superb team of 4. Simply superb.
    Fully agreed. Wonderful game, with brilliant performance from all the officials.

I thought they could (and should) have concluded there was sufficient evidence that Josh Adams had been held up, but overall that game was an absolute pleasure to watch.

Referees in Holland

Soc/Assoc
    NRB
    Grade
    IRB level 2

How many penalties did he award against Wales in their own 22, under intense French pressure, without going for a Yellow? I counted 7.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

He warned AWJ about repeat pks. Next one got a YC. The next one got another. So why not one each for the next two?

Looked like a cop out frankly.

Adams try was only awarded because the soft signal was try. I’m not convinced that LP could have seen enough to make a call. Has try yes or no disappeared from protocols now?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    He warned AWJ about repeat pks. Next one got a YC. The next one got another. So why not one each for the next two?

Looked like a cop out frankly.

Adams try was only awarded because the soft signal was try. I’m not convinced that LP could have seen enough to make a call. Has try yes or no disappeared from protocols now?
    LP got himself into a corner. We generally advise refs not to simply say that the ‘next one will go’. Because it has really got to depend on circumstances. There is a lot of difference between cynical and accidental/soft penalties. Penalties do happen and sometimes it is because the player concerned simply misjudges a situation. It is much better to say such things as ‘I’ll be looking at cards’, ‘I’m being left with little option’ etc. Awarding of a card should depend on nature of offence, position and the action.
    Did LP bottle it? No, he knew that if he continued as he had been then he would have turned the game into a complete debacle and instead of receiving the praise he has it is likely he would have been talked about for different reasons. The players have enough capacity to spoil a game without the referee making it even worse.

Thread Information