Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: France v Scotland

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Re: France v Scotland

And PTs are to ensure foul play doesn't stop a score, which it didn't.[/QUOTE]

Or a 'score' in a more advantageous position!

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Yet to join
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    And PTs are to ensure foul play doesn't stop a score, which it didn't.
    So why does the law say what it does: "or scored in a more advantageous position"?

Where across the pitch is the dividing line between more or less advantageous?

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by BikingBud View Post
    So why does the law say what it does: "or scored in a more advantageous position"?

If you need a line on the pitch for this then you shouldn't be refereeing! !

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

its a good & interesting point. There is certainly an unwritten rule that a try resets things and a referee will be disinclined to award a deserved YC or a PT. Jeez, I've even done it myself on a number of occasions.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    Or a 'score' in a more advantageous position![/QUOTE]

Which it didn't either a point already made.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    You can absolutely give a card for foul play even if the opposition get the advantage and no penalty is called.

However, cards are management tools, not sticks to beat naughty players with. And PTs are to ensure foul play doesn't stop a score, which it didn't.
    Yep. That's on the money.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2

Quote Originally Posted by BikingBud View Post
    Yes, or score in a better position, but I don't take that as meaning a metre or two further infield, personally. There was already a defender sweeping in at full pace and another chasing behind; it's not like he'd have regathered and sauntered under the posts.

My point is more that the reasons for giving a PT seem to be more based on punishing the tackler for doing something naughty, than for the actual effect on the game. PTs are not designed to be used for that; cards can be.

Otherwise you as a ref are giving points to a team as a present based on "making the game fair" rather than what that team actually achieves, which personally I'd keep to under-7s age grade matches.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Yet to join
    Grade
    Select Grade

If you need a line on the pitch for this then you shouldn't be refereeing! !
    No really!

We seem to be having a discussion on a referee's forum, where people come for advice from similar minded and more experienced people and to further their understanding, about penalty tries and the principle of where it may be deemed less advantageous and that is your contribution. Thanks very much for that insightful and helpful response.

So by your reckoning, recounting all other queries about knocks on, tap penalties and marks, timing, scrummage and line out issues not to mention more complex problems about jumping tackles and dangerous tackles or the very hypothetical which will seldom if ever occur should not be raised because if we cannot decide we should not be refereeing. MUPPET!

Do you tell the teams you're coaching to catch better and to run faster. With such insights you must be revolutionary!

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Or a 'score' in a more advantageous position![/QUOTE]

IF the try would PROBABLY (by extension etc) been scored in a more advantageous position. Each to their own but i think its pretty unlikely that try would have been scored significantly closer to the posts. YMMV natch.

The law was blown as it is written.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

I was reflecting on this and wondering if the introduction of YCs (which I still regard as novel, even though it's 20+ years) has reduced the incidence of PTs and/or increased the threshold where a PT is awarded?

It does seem to me that a PT is now only awarded where there is a near certainty of a try.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by KoolFork View Post

It does seem to me that a PT is now only awarded where there is a near certainty of a try.
    That does seem to be a consensus of opinion. But refect this against the PT situation 20 years ago and PTs were hardly ever awarded then. Go back another 20 years and they were NEVER awarded (except by Clive Norling!)

didds

Thread Information