Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: France v Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2

Default Re: France v Scotland

A PT can follow from advantage. For all the ref knows, the SH will pass it out the other way, 12 will score under the posts and there's no grounds to give the PT.

You don't see it much because foul play is often a flashpoint and kills the attacking momentum.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan

So i f a lazy runner blocked the easy pass to a centre poised to score under the posts, forcing the 9 to go wide but still leading to a score in the corner -are we thinking PT?

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Camquin View Post
    So i f a lazy runner blocked the easy pass to a centre poised to score under the posts, forcing the 9 to go wide but still leading to a score in the corner -are we thinking PT?
    I would have no problem with that. But as soon as the s/half looked towards the centre, saw the alzy runner, then broke wide the other way why wouldnt the ref blow for PT immediately? why would he play advantage ? If the play was so quick he never got a chance he presumably just ignores the 9's actions and awards a PT? Dicke's example above had an arm out - Im not following why you'd do that if you thought the penalised action already prevented a probable try?

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Camquin View Post
    I'd say not. For me, you have to have the ball (or be attempting to receive it), and be heading towards the line or in-goal. Otherwise I get into such shades of grey that I can tie myself in knots defending the decision. A clearly/cynically offside player charges down 10's cross kick to a clear winger? Obstruction on a support runner 10m before the lone fullback tackles the ball carrier? Early tackle on the flyhalf with a 4-on-2 overlap?

I can't think of a C&O PT situation where the foul play isn't against the player about to score. I'm sure the minds of this forum can come up with many The lazy runner may well face a YC nevertheless.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Central Australian Rugby Referees
    Grade
    B3

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    I'd say not. For me, you have to have the ball (or be attempting to receive it), and be heading towards the line or in-goal. Otherwise I get into such shades of grey that I can tie myself in knots defending the decision. A clearly/cynically offside player charges down 10's cross kick to a clear winger? Obstruction on a support runner 10m before the lone fullback tackles the ball carrier? Early tackle on the flyhalf with a 4-on-2 overlap?

I can't think of a C&O PT situation where the foul play isn't against the player about to score. I'm sure the minds of this forum can come up with many The lazy runner may well face a YC nevertheless.
    Ball is in the left side 15. FOr reasons known only to God, the nearest defender on the op0en side 10 m away, and you have a runner who can get in the gap.

You look right, and all of a sudden your channel is taken away by the lazy runner, so you pivot left and send the winger in at the corner.

PT. YC. Easy sell.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    Ball is in the left side 15. FOr reasons known only to God, the nearest defender on the op0en side 10 m away, and you have a runner who can get in the gap.

You look right, and all of a sudden your channel is taken away by the lazy runner, so you pivot left and send the winger in at the corner.

PT. YC. Easy sell.
    If there has ever been an elite game where this PT has been given I'd like to see it.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

I diont think the point is "Ive never seen it, it never happens". The point is a very clear cut example - its that latin phrase about adsurdium wotsit. So in THIS example is a try in the corner or a PT is the question, as the alzy runner prevented a probably try much closer to the posts and a simpler conversion? Its a simple binary question.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    I diont think the point is "Ive never seen it, it never happens". The point is a very clear cut example - its that latin phrase about adsurdium wotsit. So in THIS example is a try in the corner or a PT is the question, as the alzy runner prevented a probably try much closer to the posts and a simpler conversion? Its a simple binary question.
    Law suggests PT. Experience & observation suggests try in corner.

But I'm happy to be proved wrong if anyone can cite an elite example where a PT has been given.

Note too that there is an opinion (not shared by me) that as soon as the alzy runer does her/his thing, the ref should be running under the posts and not take any interest in the outcome of the pass.
    Last edited by Dickie E; 01-04-21 at 22:04.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Not wrong in law, but Try in the corner, and a firm word with the lazy runner for putting the consideration of a PT in your head. Almost without fail players, coaches and spectators want the game won on the pitch by players.

(Of course there will always be one smart arse in the bar after when then game is lost by 1 point that argues the case!)

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post

Note too that there is an opinion (not shared by me) that as soon as the alzy runer does her/his thing, the ref should be running under the posts and not take any interest in the outcome of the pass.

why would the ref not do so?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    Not wrong in law, but Try in the corner, and a firm word with the lazy runner for putting the consideration of a PT in your head. Almost without fail players, coaches and spectators want the game won on the pitch by players.
    it would have been LOST by A player though?

didds

Thread Information