Thread: Clarification 1 "021

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Default Re: Clarification 1 "021

Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    Not sure I’m happy with that situation although I do have some empathy with the idea. I’d want everyone to know that the player is returning and not just the player that catches my eye on the sideline. You would end up with players ‘popping up’ unexpectedly on the pitch and this cannot be deemed fair, especially if the opposition decide to run the ball one way because they see a gap and then a player suddenly steps into the pitch and makes a tackle. What if the ref makes a sort of waving arm signal to another player and the waiting player enters the pitch? Then we have the completely cynical, “I thought you waved me on ref”!
    yes - although that seems to be exactly what happens in elite rugby where the touchline official seem to let a player on without fanfare or warning (presumably they let the ref know in his earpiece) .

I'd try and bring the player on and make it clear he's come on. Perhaps : peep, time off, on you come, peep time on. All over in 2 seconds

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Central Australian Rugby Referees
    Grade
    B3

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    i wish the RFU would develop game management gudielines, I think they are a great idea to prodcue consistency withn the Laws.

This grey area is a great example of how GMG could be useful, by laying out some guidelines and principles without taking away referees autonomy.
    GMGs produce theoretical consistency, not practical.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

They don't guarantee consistency, but they must improve it

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    B3

My experience in the US is that is not the case. Consistency is actually driven better at the local level.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    My experience in the US is that is not the case. Consistency is actually driven better at the local level.
    Can agree with that to some degree but doesn’t that mean local consistency is achieved rather than nationally?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

How do different localities become consistent with eachother ?

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    B3

A Federated model is the best way to get close to it. But I think we need to be honest when we say that there is a correlation between the standard of game and the chances of referee consistency.

Higher level games: greater chance.
    Lower level games: Lesser chance.

if you don't believe, look at the USA R Referee page. Or rather, don't, if you value your sanity. Or, if you do, please don't blame me.

Current hot topic of debate on a page hosted by someone who used to be someone significant in USA Rugby: You can't be offside in-goal.
    Marcus Aurelius

Arthur Schopenhauer

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Current hot topic of debate on a page hosted by someone who used to be someone significant in USA Rugby: You can't be offside in-goal.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

10.2 A player can be offside anywhere in the playing area.
    Definitions. Playing area: The field of play plus the in-goal areas. The touch lines, touch-in-goal lines and dead-ball lines are not part of the playing area.

How does he get out of that?
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

we have been through this a few times -- you can't have scrums, mauls, rucks or tackle in the in-goal, so the offside lines that normally form from those all disappear as the ball goes into in goal, and cannot exist in goal.

indeed even when the tackle/scrum etc is in the FoP, the offside line is the goal line- never in goal.

That's where the confusion comes from.

But what does remain is being offside by way of being in front of a team mate who last played the ball. That is the one form of offside that can happen in goal.
    Last edited by crossref; 3 Weeks Ago at 13:04.

Thread Information