Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 81

Thread: Clarification 1 "021

      
  1. #51

    ELRA/Club Referee


    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    08 Nov 18
    Posts
    219

    Default Re: Clarification 1 "021

    Same reply as Crossref - I would allow the replacement in all 4 cases (as I would also for the YC scenarios).

  2. #52

    Referees in England
    Phil E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    8
    Join Date
    22 Jan 08
    Posts
    15,105
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Clarification 1 "021

    I seem to be going along with everyone else.

    If it's your penalty and you don't take the quick tap then you can make substitutions, bring on YC cards, etc (subject to RFU regulations, only two subs at one time, can't take a kick at goal as first action, etc)...AND so can the other team. Your penalty, your decision to slow the game down or not.

    If it's the offending team (not your penalty) then you can't do any of those things unless the other team decide to first. i.e. its their prerogative to go quickly and you can't do anything to try and slow that down.

    Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref


  3. #53
    Rugby Club Member Rich_NL's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Join Date
    13 Apr 15
    Posts
    1,424

    Default Re: Clarification 1 "021

    If it's your penalty, you can make the choice. If a YC is 9'50 in when the penalty is given, he can't come back on. If it's 10'10 he can, and play however he likes.

    If you're bringing players on/off, no quick taps.

  4. #54

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    19,002

    Default Re: Clarification 1 "021

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    If it's your penalty, you can make the choice. If a YC is 9'50 in when the penalty is given, he can't come back on. If it's 10'10 he can.
    .
    that's an interesting one, though. If they think for 15s and then ask to make a substitution, you'll say yes and stop the clock at 10.05. And then they say - while we are doing the replacement, can the YC player also come on now? It's 10.05 ?


    Although I think you are probably right to say no. It's clear and reasonable to take it from time of the PK
    Last edited by crossref; 1 Week Ago at 09:04.

  5. #55
    Rugby Club Member Rich_NL's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Join Date
    13 Apr 15
    Posts
    1,424

    Default Re: Clarification 1 "021

    Yep, that's the point the ball went "dead".

  6. #56

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    19,002

    Default Re: Clarification 1 "021

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    Yep, that's the point the ball went "dead".
    well that's the nub of this isn't it -- when you blow whistle for PK ball is still alive (as they can quick tap). The ball only goes properly dead (for a replacement) when you say it's dead.
    Last edited by crossref; 1 Week Ago at 11:04.

  7. #57

    Resident Club Coach
    didds's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Join Date
    27 Jan 04
    Posts
    10,364

    Default Re: Clarification 1 "021

    and here's a thought...

    a YC is for ten minutes. so notwithstanding waiting as per the above for 10 minutes to actually pass etc ... it equally seems inequitable for a YC player and team to be off/doqwn for eg 15 minutes just because the ball never is treated as "dead" between 10:01 and 15:00 just because of PKs, FKs, QTIs, quick throw ins to formed lineouts etc etc etc. There has to become a time where its only reasonable to permit the YC player to return. Otherwise as suggested before, it is only scrums and a 2nd half kick off whereby the ball is NOT zombie like and the game coud restart as soon as the team awarded <the next action> choose to do so ... which could optherwise preclude an oppo YC from returning

  8. #58

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    19,002

    Default Re: Clarification 1 "021

    Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    and here's a thought...

    a YC is for ten minutes. so notwithstanding waiting as per the above for 10 minutes to actually pass etc ... it equally seems inequitable for a YC player and team to be off/doqwn for eg 15 minutes just because the ball never is treated as "dead" between 10:01 and 15:00 just because of PKs, FKs, QTIs, quick throw ins to formed lineouts etc etc etc. There has to become a time where its only reasonable to permit the YC player to return. Otherwise as suggested before, it is only scrums and a 2nd half kick off whereby the ball is NOT zombie like and the game coud restart as soon as the team awarded <the next action> choose to do so ... which could optherwise preclude an oppo YC from returning
    i agree - I remember going to a talk with Wayne Barnes once - I think the quesiton was about bringing a player back on while the QTI was still a possibility - and he said something like: presumably the YC player is standing there on the touchline, bursting to go on? why no just just catch his eye and beckon him on?


    in other words: frequently it's perfectly possible to bring back a YC player at a zombie ball moment if you want to. Might take literally 0.5s .

    Of course you have to be consistent and fair to both teams, so that's the potential problem .

  9. #59

    Referees in England
    Balones's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Join Date
    24 Oct 06
    Posts
    1,015

    Default Re: Clarification 1 "021

    Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    and here's a thought...

    a YC is for ten minutes. so notwithstanding waiting as per the above for 10 minutes to actually pass etc ... it equally seems inequitable for a YC player and team to be off/doqwn for eg 15 minutes just because the ball never is treated as "dead" between 10:01 and 15:00 just because of PKs, FKs, QTIs, quick throw ins to formed lineouts etc etc etc. There has to become a time where its only reasonable to permit the YC player to return. Otherwise as suggested before, it is only scrums and a 2nd half kick off whereby the ball is NOT zombie like and the game coud restart as soon as the team awarded <the next action> choose to do so ... which could optherwise preclude an oppo YC from returning
    You are right didds. I was going to tell the story about a YC four years ago which lasted 20 mins and 17 seconds. This arose because eleven minutes had gone but the referee refused to let the YC back on (non-offending) at a penalty and insisted waiting until the lineout. They missed touch and a combination of continuous play and other penalties led to the 20 mins+. He was only allowed back on when a scrum was opted for. Even then the opposition objected!

  10. #60

    Referees in America
    thepercy's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Join Date
    21 Sep 13
    Posts
    861

    Default Re: Clarification 1 "021

    Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    Apart from perhaps one person from the southern hemisphere it looks as if we have a considerable amount of consensus and that referees would allow a YC to return at a penalty if the non-offending side want to make the return. I must admit I am slightly disappointed by the number of responses because it was a genuine question to try to gauge what degree of consistency we have.

    Now can we look at a similar situation where we have the non-offending side wanting to make a replacement.
    Team Red have been awarded a penalty and want to make a replacement. Assuming no quick penalty has been taken, team. They want to:-
    A.) Take a kick for touch.
    B.) Take a shot at goal. (Not by the replacement in RFU land because it is not allowed.)
    C.) Opt for a scrum.
    D.) Tap and run with the ball.

    What would you do or expect the referee to do? Anything different to the YC return?
    For me, if its REDs prerogative to play the ball, Red can request the sub, affectively asking for the referee to make the ball dead. Then the referee makes the ball dead, both sides can enjoy the privileges of the ball being dead, YCs return, subs can be made, water can come on.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •