Thread: Covid Law Variations for England

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Default Re: Covid Law Variations for England

Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    Exactly, so any coaches who have taken then time to read the laws, prepare their players are going to find that refs who have done the same, and participated in the webinars will do something different - normal service really!
    you might say that, I couldnt POSSIBLY comment

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Blog Entries

Not 100% sure what your getting at Didds, so this might be the wrong answer...but....

Ball carrier is running.
    Opposition player grabs the ball carrier to try and tackle him but the ball carrier fights to stay on his feet because he wants to make more ground.

At this point if a team-mate of the ball carrier joins in he forms a maul and is liable to penalty. Ideally we will manage this by telling him not to join, etc.

Meanwhile the original two players are grappling for the ball. The none ball carrier can try to rip the ball but must do so immediately.

If he fails to rip the ball immediately then we now want a tackle to take place, or the ball carrier to pass the ball away, so we can avoid players being face to face on their feet.

This is where the phrases 'use it' and 'release' come into play. (I also use 'make the tackle'). if the ball can't be passed away then we want them to go to ground and complete the tackle.

Having missed his chance to rip, we don't want to see the none ball carrier continue to hold up the ball carrier, if he does so, he is liable to a penalty.

So at this point (and this all takes a few seconds), we want to see...rip the ball, complete the tackle, or pass the ball away. Anyone who prevents any of those things happening is liable to penalty because they promote the risk of a maul forming.

Also remember that if the would be tackler releases the ball carrier at your command, we then can't in equity allow the ball carrier to run off. Hence 'use it'.

PS: Latching is allowed in pick and goes (in the normal way) if no opposition player is bound on first.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

its the PS that is what I was getting at.

The law simply says

"Players must not bind onto a team-mate who is in possession of the ball. Sanction: Penalty kick."

but in a latch, a player is binding onto a team mate who is in possession of the ball. Apparently with no sanction.

Go figure.

( I follow the thing about players subsequently going to ground etc. But the law doesnt say that.)

Im not losing sleep over it. Its just another example of something that can only end up causing confusion amongst some areas.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    its the PS that is what I was getting at.

The law simply says

"Players must not bind onto a team-mate who is in possession of the ball. Sanction: Penalty kick."
    This is listed under the Maul law.
    It's not great wording (no surprise there), but what it means is that a player cannot form a maul by binding onto a team mate who has the ball.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    This is listed under the Maul law.
    It's not great wording (no surprise there), but what it means is that a player cannot form a maul by binding onto a team mate who has the ball.
    Yeah.

But Bert the secocnd row doesn't think "oh, what law is that under?" when he is considering latching or not. Or watching his opposite number doing it.

And lets face it - we see dicussions here levering items from other laws to try and get a solution for a different law interpretation in certain scenarios.

didds
    Last edited by didds; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:04.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Blog Entries

If all goes to plan these temporary laws will only be in place for a month, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it either. You can only deal with what's in front of you.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

The important point explained to us, for this temporary scenario, are the things we're trying to avoid (close face to face contact for more than a few seconds) and what are we wanting to achieve (play the ball away or go to ground and reset) so as long as those are communicated and achieved then everybody should be happy. Sure the laws and adjustments are there to penalise deliberate infringement against those goals, or help us restart when it doesn't work but that's about it.

Like 'playing the 9' you're hard pushed to find law wording that says you can't in most scenarios, but our goal is to reset and play the game positively so we manage it that way. Same thing really.

Thread Information