Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: When and why the intentional knock-on rule was added to the rugby laws?

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Default Re: When and why the intentional knock-on rule was added to the rugby laws?

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    Sounds like that referee got it wrong.
    Absolutely. And it would make little sense to change laws cos one community level ref got it wrong.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Re: When and why the intentional knock-on rule was added to the rugby laws?

Regarding the history part of the question, back in the 1970s there was no "deliberate knock on" as we currently understand it - and if a defender knocked on when trying to intercept the last pass to the winger (say) it was just a scrum. It seemed very unfair in some circumstances, particularly if the defender had no chance at all of catching the ball and they prevented a nailed-on scoring opportunity. The new law (1980s sometime?) was a big improvement in re-establishing fairness in this area.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Akira Nonaka View Post

Thank you very much for the information. The origin of the intentional knock-on is pretty old than I thought.

I still think even an intercept attempt "looks" reckless or unrealistic, encouraging that kind of difference play will make rugby more fun and exiting rather than penalizing it.
    FWIW, I think a clue for referees is "hard hands" v "soft hands"... or "at the ball" v "to the ball"

An example of "hard hands" is a player who reactively jams an arm out "at the ball" in order to get their hand between the passer and the receiver. They should only going get away with this if they actually end up catching the ball. If they end up knocking the ball on, then I would regard that as deliberate or intentional.

An example of "soft hands" is a player who gets their body into position so that they can get their hand(s) "to the ball" in order to catch it. If they end up knocking the ball on, then I would regard that as accidental or unintentional.

In any case where a player deliberately knocks the ball ahead with the intention of regathering it, and then fails to do so, I would regard as an intentional knock on

Watch the first seven intercepts in this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij38G6IdQZI

The first two I would say are examples of "hard hands, at the ball". Had they dropped the ball, I would rule those as an intentional knock ons

The next five for mine are examples of "soft hands, to the ball". Had they dropped the ball, I would just call those as knock on.
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

I think some penalised knock-ons are probably not deliberate, eg where the ball hits a tackler's arms. This might encourage a hit with the arm wrap following

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    They should only going get away with this if they actually end up catching the ball. If they end up knocking the ball on, then I would regard that as deliberate or intentional.
    saw this on Saturday which made me wonder. Player knocks ball forward and clearly catches it but by the time he caught it the ball was in touch. Decision?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan

I would just give the line out.
    The ball being over the plane does not mean it is dead.
    So, his acton of catching it means it is not a knock-on but - assuming his feet are in touch - puts it into touch.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    saw this on Saturday which made me wonder. Player knocks ball forward and clearly catches it but by the time he caught it the ball was in touch. Decision?
    Lineout, opposition throw
    - Jay Windley

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by KoolFork View Post
    I think some penalised knock-ons are probably not deliberate, eg where the ball hits a tackler's arms. This might encourage a hit with the arm wrap following
    Generally, when the ball is knocked from an opponents grasp, that is never ruled as deliberate.
    - Jay Windley

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    Generally, when the ball is knocked from an opponents grasp, that is never ruled as deliberate.
    if it's knocked forward out of the opposing SH's hand as he picks it up at base of ruck, it is

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    if it's knocked forward out of the opposing SH's hand as he picks it up at base of ruck, it is
    Almost certainly that is because the player doing the knocking-on is offside.

I've seen top level referees say "play on" when an onside opponent has done that (usually when the scrum-half is a bit slow getting the ball away)

Also, I think the poster I was replying to was talking about the ball being knocked on in a tackle.
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 17-05-21 at 09:05.
    - Jay Windley

Thread Information