Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When and why the intentional knock-on rule was added to the rugby laws?

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Cool Re: When and why the intentional knock-on rule was added to the rugby laws?

Thank you all for the comments. I understand I am alone.

BTW. Please allow me to continue this thread a little bit. Has anyone know this article is applied in the real game?

11.7 A player must not intentionally throw or pass the ball forward. Sanction: Penalty.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Blog Entries

Default Re: When and why the intentional knock-on rule was added to the rugby laws?

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    Interesting. Does it need to? Or does changing the flight of the ball so that it is going "more forwards" meet requirements?

Definition here for reference:

Knock-on: When a player loses possession of the ball and it goes forward, or when a player hits the ball forward with the hand or arm, or when the ball hits the hand or arm and goes forward, and the ball touches the ground or another player before the original player can catch it.
    From definitions Forward: Towards the opposition’s dead-ball line

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Default Re: When and why the intentional knock-on rule was added to the rugby laws?

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kurt Weaver View Post
    From definitions Forward: Towards the opposition’s dead-ball line
    OK. SH passes the ball to #10 at an angle of 45 degrees. It's not a great pass and the best the #10 can do is get a finger tip to the ball such that the ball is deflected as shown in this diagram. Knock on?

Capture.JPG
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    OK. SH passes the ball to #10 at an angle of 45 degrees. It's not a great pass and the best the #10 can do is get a finger tip to the ball such that the ball is deflected as shown in this diagram. Knock on?
    unh-uh

"nope" for clarity
    Last edited by Not Kurt Weaver; 1 Week Ago at 10:05.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Kent
    Grade

I do feel that Akira's question highlights the current interpretation of law 11.3. IMHO (and given all the tweaks, application guidances etc of the previous few seasons I really want the game to stabilize for a while) this is the one that I would wish would change. Probably discussed already in this parish, but it just feels too polarised. Being conscious of fine margins (a fraction of an inch here or there in catching/knocking on) and instinctive reactions but, on the other hand, professionalism: either the interception is made and a high chance of 7pts under the posts at one end or penalty try, 7pts and yellow card and 10 minutes at the other end. A little more empathy in the reffing would not go amiss, I feel...

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

no doubt because of the elite end harsh interptations seen on TV, I once witnessed a winger carded for a deliberate knock on 15m out from the opponents line in an attempt at a interception and definite score had he made it... the "deliberate knock on" was juggled a couple of times before being actually knocked on.

this was in a U15 game.
    Last edited by didds; 1 Week Ago at 16:05.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    no doubt because of the elite end harsh interptations seen on TV, I oncfe wiotnessed a winder carded for a deliberate knock on 15m out from the opponents line in an attempt at a interception and definite score had he made it... the "deleiberate knock on" was juggled a couple of times before beign actually knocked on.

this was in a U15 game.
    Sounds like that referee got it wrong. Surely if you are juggling the ball you have a realistic chance of gathering the ball, which is the standard for a standard knock-on to become a intentional one.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    Sounds like that referee got it wrong. Surely if you are juggling the ball you have a realistic chance of gathering the ball, which is the standard for a standard knock-on to become a intentional one.
    You might say that - I couldn't POSSIBLY comment.

;-)

OK I will. Over jealous and unempathetic refereeing. A total lack of understanding of what had just happened, and why the interpretations were used in SOME circumstances at the elite level.

didds

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    Or maybe interpret as juggling = possession and therefore in this case it was simply a knock on!
    Last edited by Phil E; 1 Week Ago at 17:05. Reason: Clarity of formatting

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1

Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    Or maybe interpret as juggling = possession and therefore in this case it was simply a knock on!
    Yes, we agree on that it does not sound like an intentional knock.

Thread Information