Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: When and why the intentional knock-on rule was added to the rugby laws?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Re: When and why the intentional knock-on rule was added to the rugby laws?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    Almost certainly that is because the player doing the knocking-on is offside.

I've seen top level referees say "play on" when an onside opponent has done that (usually when the scrum-half is a bit slow getting the ball away)

Also, I think the poster I was replying to was talking about the ball being knocked on in a tackle.
    I was, but I was really talking about the tackle as the ball player is passing, not while still in their hands. When I was playing, you wouldn't have attempted a pass in those circumstances. Nowadays, there's a good chance you'll get a penalty, and sometimes see a player sent to the bin.

With replays you can see if the tackler changes their arm movement, but most referees have to make a single sight decision.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Default Re: When and why the intentional knock-on rule was added to the rugby laws?

Quote Originally Posted by KoolFork View Post
    I was, but I was really talking about the tackle as the ball player is passing, not while still in their hands. When I was playing, you wouldn't have attempted a pass in those circumstances. Nowadays, there's a good chance you'll get a penalty, and sometimes see a player sent to the bin.

With replays you can see if the tackler changes their arm movement, but most referees have to make a single sight decision.
    ie ball carriers are throwing the ball hoping to hit a tackler's arm, and gain a PK/YC ?

it's an interesting theory, I wouldn't rule it out completely, but in general surely that would not be a wise tactic?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    ie ball carriers are throwing the ball hoping to hit a tackler's arm, and gain a PK/YC ?

it's an interesting theory, I wouldn't rule it out completely, but in general surely that would not be a wise tactic?
    Hi crossref. I wouldn't go so far as suggesting it's a tactic, but I do think it makes more sense for defenders to wrap late to avoid this. In these situations the potential tackler is rarely in a position to intercept - they're often committed to the tackle. The ball hits the wrapping arm and invariably goes forward and down. My view is that many of these are not deliberate knock-ons.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by KoolFork View Post
    Hi crossref. I wouldn't go so far as suggesting it's a tactic, but I do think it makes more sense for defenders to wrap late to avoid this. In these situations the potential tackler is rarely in a position to intercept - they're often committed to the tackle. The ball hits the wrapping arm and invariably goes forward and down. My view is that many of these are not deliberate knock-ons.
    I think WR would say : tackle lower.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post

Agree.

If a tackler knocks the ball free in a tackle, that is a bonus for him. But, if that is what he is trying to do, he risks either missing the tackle, or injuring himself or his opponent, because he is likely to be trying to change his focus "on the fly". That is a very risky thing to do in today's outcome-driven refereeing environment, where intent is not taken into account.
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    That is a very risky thing to do in today's outcome-driven refereeing environment, where intent is not taken into account.
    Except as we know, it is. CF my thread a few weeks ago about the Italian defender on the england winger who was only penalised because the head contact was accidental - ie the To4 made a call that was based on intent.

didds

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    Except as we know, it is. CF my thread a few weeks ago about the Italian defender on the england winger who was only penalised because the head contact was accidental - ie the To4 made a call that was based on intent.

didds
    Try swinging your arm at a player to knock the ball out, make a slight misjudgment, and clatter the ball carrier in the head, making direct contact, with force? What call do you think the T04 will make?
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

all Im saying is that for all the talk in theory of intent not being considered, its clear that intent is considered constantly. As demonstrated by the TMO and ref in that E v I game.

meanwhile in answer, swinging arm, head contact with force, Red Card. But after that Eng v Ita episode who knows?
    Last edited by didds; 18-05-21 at 17:05.

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

"intentional knock-on" sounds a bit confusing to me. How about calling it "illegal interception"?

Thread Information