Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: When and why the intentional knock-on rule was added to the rugby laws?

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

Default Re: When and why the intentional knock-on rule was added to the rugby laws?

Quote Originally Posted by Akira Nonaka View Post
    "intentional knock-on" sounds a bit confusing to me. How about calling it "illegal interception"?
    It is the standard terminology. I don't think you are going to be able to change that.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Default Re: When and why the intentional knock-on rule was added to the rugby laws?

maybe words like "intentional", "deliberate", "immediate" and "without delay" should be defined in Definitions
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

I'd rather World Rugby left well alone. I have no confidence that they would be able to do so without creating a cascade of unintentional problems. In addition, what would be the point? We already have a defined period that a ball must be used by after the ref calls "use it" which is routinely ignored. Why create more problems? The last thing I need is a coach with a stopwatch presenting me with a list of events after a game in which I failed to meet the 3 second deadline for this and 5 second deadlienfor that.

Any law/definition changes must be able to be applied to grass roots rugby and not just professional rugby. Theres too much tinkering with laws to make the TV spectacle more appealing with little thought to how it can be applied across the game. Very narrow definitions will not make our job any easier.

Thread Information