Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Default France v England - 30/4/2021

Another debating point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUxQHwC9m20&t=3770s

As you start to run the YT video keep an eye on poppy cleal on the floor - as the camera zooms she is into the left hand bottom corner of the screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUxQHwC9m20&t=3770s

Thoughts?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    RugbyWA

Default Re: France v England - 30/4/2021

Had a little look down before she dropped the knee. That's a pretty clear red to me.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

and I think she was very lucky to not get a RC I agree.

is there a case to be made (quasi devil's advocate) that Cleal (white) holding onto the leg destabilised the blue player who fell and was not in control of her limbs, constrained as she was by white's holding onto the other leg?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan

I think the TMO suggested a red - I do wish the commentators would shut up when the TO4 are discussing sanctions - but the ref decided that it was only a yellow due to mitigating circumstances.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Surely, if you believe the player has transgressed then it’s red? I can see the argument for uncertainty, was she pulled / did she stumble - but I don’t see YC, it’s one or the other I think.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Camquin View Post
    I think the TMO suggested a red - I do wish the commentators would shut up when the TO4 are discussing sanctions - but the ref decided that it was only a yellow due to mitigating circumstances.

It must be said that the coverage of these women's games while hugely welcomed has had a lot of waffling going on. I also appreciate there may well be an element of introducing a new demographic/audience to the games/coverage that may need things explaining, but its not the explanations that are the annoying prattling... there's a lot of speaking for speaking's sake.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1

It looks like the Blue player drops the knee on the shoulder of White player holding her foot for no apparent reason, then the White player holds her eye like that is where she was hit. Any case for 9.7.C here?

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    It looks like the Blue player drops the knee on the shoulder of White player holding her foot for no apparent reason, then the White player holds her eye like that is where she was hit. Any case for 9.7.C here?
    Fully agree white shares some responsibility for being a pain (like every professional breakdown you see), but contact point wasn't shoulder, it was chin / neck so *if* deemed as a reckless or deliberate act that's Red - *if*. As to white over egging it? Maybe, but you react and you run the risk of the worse sanction :-(

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Blog Entries

I seem to be in a minority of one here, but for me the YC was the right call. Mitigate down from a Red because of Whites actions.
    If white hadn't grabbed her leg it never would have happened, the knee went down to the shoulder and only skimmed the head because white had got her off balance. White made a meal of it in my opinion.
    Yellow seems right, but I would have been tempted to YC both of them and then give the penalty to White.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    I seem to be in a minority of one here, but for me the YC was the right call. Mitigate down from a Red because of Whites actions.
    If white hadn't grabbed her leg it never would have happened, the knee went down to the shoulder and only skimmed the head because white had got her off balance. White made a meal of it in my opinion.
    Yellow seems right, but I would have been tempted to YC both of them and then give the penalty to White.
    minority of two, as I agree .... if it was in the sort of game I might be reffing. In that scenario I think a RC would take everyone by surprise, while Phil's approach would have players from both sides nodding along.

In an international game with TMOs and video, well I don't know, I can see that a RC might have happened.

Thread Information