Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Penalty Try

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Default Re: Penalty Try

Interestingly (not sure if anyone saw it live so not sure on the exact ref positioning) there was a YC and PT in this weeks Sale vs Leicester game, and from the highlights, after a TMO chat, it looked like the ref just called player over, YC, communicated PT, arm up in the air and jogged back - didn't look like under the sticks at all.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    Why not?
    I guess the bloke with the sore neck would rather have the 5 points on his club record
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    Interestingly (not sure if anyone saw it live so not sure on the exact ref positioning) there was a YC and PT in this weeks Sale vs Leicester game, and from the highlights, after a TMO chat, it looked like the ref just called player over, YC, communicated PT, arm up in the air and jogged back - didn't look like under the sticks at all.
    Geez, I wish you hadn't posted that. Crossref the Influencer will be insufferable

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    I guess the bloke with the sore neck would rather have the 5 points on his club record
    i reckon... I "scored" a PT once (tap and charge at a 5m PK, tackled by a player not retreated to goal line etc).

It didnt "feel" like I'd scored.

didds

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    Indeed. After all a side can decline a conversion attempt. Therfore, the lack of one is not conclusive evidence of a PT.
    That is true, but how often does it happen in the modern 15-a-side game? A quick drop-kick is more common. We didn't always bother when I was a schoolboy as the ball usually weighed a ton after 10 minutes on the water-logged pitches at Blackweir.

Given that normal tries are usually signalled on the goal line in line with the point where they are scored, the award of a try anywhere else (whether in the field of play of in goal) shouldn't be that confusing. (I accept that where there is a heap of bodies this is not always true.) There might be some confusion if the PT was awarded on the goal line, but referees could be told to signal such tries from the field of play - maybe any PT in goal or close to the goal line could be signalled on the 5m line.

Also, wrt to Dickie E's point, who are we talking about? The teams or the crowd? I accept there might be some confusion in the crowd at lower level matches. The referee can talk so the players would know it was a penalty try. In first class games the score board would show 7 points too. Probably broadcast over the PA. There would also be the likelihood of a YC.

You also don't trot back to the middle after time off (do referees signal to timekeepers in lower level matches?) or after a penalty. There are also secondary referee signals at most penalties.

I'm sure someone will come up with other scenarios, but my original question was whether PTs were signalled under the posts by convention. I'm guessing it was also done because that signalled the point of the conversion attempt.

It would seem sensible to me to keep the referee close to the action. After all, there will have been some foul play involved.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by KoolFork View Post
    I'm guessing it was also done because that signalled the point of the conversion attempt.
    that's true enough

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1

Quote Originally Posted by RedCapRef View Post
    Had the seat penalty not prevented the grounding, but prevented the ball carrier going under the posts, would you have awarded the penalty try and YC then?
    .Yes.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 1

there would need to be a new signal for a PT for that to work unambiguously. Ref sticks arm in air 5 metres in from touch and 5 metres out from goal line ... is he/she signaling time off, a penalty, a regular try or a PT?
    For PTs we could use the Grid Iron Touch Down signal

c1a296_bd249e288e3c4f9aac0e664c71bfa175_mv2.jpg

or maybe the Aussie rules score signal X7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evKm4kstZqM

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

His team might prefer the extras if their kicker is crap.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 1

Sir, I'd prefer the Try to the PT, I have a points bonus in my contract, thanks.

Thread Information