Thread: Another stand-up tackle

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

Default Re: Another stand-up tackle

Twitter user Steve Pierce said it for me

"Great tackle no head contact arms wrapped ... nothing to see here move along"
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    Twitter user Steve Pierce said it for me

"Great tackle no head contact arms wrapped ... nothing to see here move along"
    Whether thetackle was high or reckless is a matter for the referee to decide and not whatI’m interested in. I’m interested in how he applied the process because ifprofessional referees are confused then what about the rest of us?

He and the TMOagreed, reasonably early on in the process, that there was a clear wrap, and nofoul place took place. That being the case why would he continue to check forhead contact? No foul play means play on under the process even if there ishead contact so what would he have done with that information?

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Quote Originally Posted by Jz558 View Post
    Whether thetackle was high or reckless is a matter for the referee to decide and not whatI’m interested in. I’m interested in how he applied the process because ifprofessional referees are confused then what about the rest of us?

He and the TMOagreed, reasonably early on in the process, that there was a clear wrap, and nofoul place took place. That being the case why would he continue to check forhead contact? No foul play means play on under the process even if there ishead contact so what would he have done with that information?
    The process is the other way around (or is this where they went wrong?) First question is ‘Has there been head contact’ and then it’s on to foul play? It doesn’t matter in the sense that with the same answers you get to the same place, nut I think it’s important in terms of though process

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    The process is the other way around (or is this where they went wrong?) First question is ‘Has there been head contact’ and then it’s on to foul play? It doesn’t matter in the sense that with the same answers you get to the same place, nut I think it’s important in terms of though process
    I did wonder that but ultimately I dont think it matters which way round you ask the questions. Either way if there is no foul play its play on so why spend time holding up the game? As I said previously my feeling is that if there had been a clash of heads he would have penalised the tackle and issued a card otherwise you're left with a ball carrier with a head injury from a tackle that some, but by no means all, would say was marginal and a rebrief from Nigel on his You Tube channel whilst feeding the cows.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    what is Question 1 in the process? If it is "was there head contact?" then the 'no' answer means you never go to Question 2.
    If you could see there was no head contact at full speed in a live situation with no other input from AR's or TMO then you are a better man than me? Would depend a lot on the angle you see it at as well.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    If you could see there was no head contact at full speed in a live situation with no other input from AR's or TMO then you are a better man than me? Would depend a lot on the angle you see it at as well.
    sure and that is why we apply the "clear & obvious" principle.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2

HIA ?

I'm not sure what is in the elite referee protocols these days, but is it in the referee's purview to send a player for an HIA?
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 22-05-21 at 11:05.
    - Jay Windley

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    HIA ?

I'm not sure what is in the elite referee protocols these days, but is it in the referee's purview to send a player for an HIA?
    In stage 1, players who sustain head impact events with the potential for a concussion are identified by match officials, team doctors (TD), or independent match-day doctors (MDD). The identification is either by direct observation or on video review.

Extract from World Rugby Protocol
    https://www.world.rugby/news/612891

It would seem they do.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

[FONT=Verdana]
    He and the TMOagreed, reasonably early on in the process, that there was a clear wrap, and nofoul place took place.
    what they were doing was verbalising what they saw as each camera angle was made available ie "I can see no foul play from that angle, may I see the next angle please?"

And a "clear wrap" is only relevant to 1. confirm there was no shoulder charge or 2. present mitigation to the head contact (if any)
    Last edited by Dickie E; 22-05-21 at 22:05.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    Extract from World Rugby Protocol [/FONT][/COLOR]https://www.world.rugby/news/612891

It would seem they do.
    Thanks Phil
    - Jay Windley

Thread Information