Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Touch Laws!!

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Default Re: New Touch Laws!!

The revised law 5.7c will now read: A half ends when the ball becomes dead after time has expired unless a penalty is kicked directly into touch without the ball first being tapped and without the ball touching another player.

A restart/kick off is not a penalty kick.

So "no".

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

but

A scrum, lineout or restart kick following a try or touchdown, awarded before time expired, has not been completed and the ball has not returned to open play. This includes when the scrum, lineout or restart kick is taken incorrectly.

so is it copmpleted when it bunces

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Netherlands
    Grade
    Level 2

What happens if:
    The after time penalty is kicked, by the Red team, towards touch;
    The ball hits a Blue defenders foot;
    It goes into touch;

From what I read here we say "Keep on playing, throw to the Red team".

But what happens if:
    The after time penalty is kicked, by the Red team, towards touch (in this case a huge kick downfield, behind the Blue defence, with lots of Red chasers);
    The ball stops in-field next to the touch line;
    The Blue full back wins the race to the ball and he taps it over the line into touch without picking it up ;
    ??? WHAT NOW ???;

To my mind the correct decision here is blow the whistle for the end of time.
    But if I follow these new guidelines the decision should be "Keep on playing, throw to the Red team".

Maybe the new guidance should be re-worded to differentiate between the ball touching a player and the ball being played by a player?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan

A half ends when the ball becomes dead after time has expired, unless a penalty is kicked directly into touch without the ball first being tapped and without the ball touching another player.

I think that includes a player touching the ball. Of course if the blue player throws it into touch, that could be a different matter. It would be a fresh penalty.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Rereading these 2 sentences:

The revised law 5.7c will now read: A half ends when the ball becomes dead after time has expired unless a penalty is kicked into touch without the ball first being tapped and without the ball touching another player.

In practice this will mean: Ball is kicked from a penalty – A player kicks the ball into touch (either directly or first bouncing in the field of play or touching a player or the referee). Location of mark: Where the ball reaches the touchline. Who: Kicking team.
    Is it just me or are they contradictory?

The law says
    A half ends when the ball becomes dead after time has expired unless a penalty is kicked into touch without the ball first being tapped and without the ball touching another player.
    which means that a lineout will take place in all circumstances unless the ball is tapped or touches another player.

The 2nd sentence says the lineout will take place even if the ball touches another player.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post

The law says
    A half ends when the ball becomes dead after time has expired unless a penalty is kicked into touch without the ball first being tapped and without the ball touching another player.
    which means that a lineout will take place in all circumstances unless the ball is tapped or touches another player.

The 2nd sentence says the lineout will take place even if the ball touches another player.
    No it's not just you

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post

The law says

I don't think it means that

But I agree it's very hard to parse , it's a exception to an exception, with a problematic 'and'

(brackets would help)

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    I don't think it means that
    what do you think it means?
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan

The without being tapped is irrelevant. If it has been tapped it is no longer a penalty. If you want to add that as a clarifying note.
    I am sure it could have been written as

A half ends when the ball becomes dead after time has expired unless a penalty is kicked into touch without touching a player.

As it is, if the kicker chases it, attempts to regathers it and knocks it into touch play should continue, as it has not touched another player.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Even better wording would be

A half ends when the ball becomes dead after time has expired unless a penalty is kicked directly into touch

Thread Information