Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Touch Laws!!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8

Default New Touch Laws!!

We've lost one opportunity to explain the definition of 'directly into touch'!

"World Rugby has approved minor adjustments in law relating to Law 5 (time) and Law 18 (touch) following consideration of unintended consequences of current law in specific circumstances":

https://www.world.rugby/news/639576?...1i3vns0pvfcuvu

Law 5.7c The 12 year-old has finally been brought to book!

Law 18.8c Something that I can hardly imagine occurring, but it must have done so once.

Personally I am happy with both.
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Default Re: New Touch Laws!!

So if it goes directly in to touch via an in-direct route we still have the line out? Got it ;-)

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Nice to see confirmation that "directly " means without bouncing
    Though not quite sure why anyone needed that confirmation as it is in the definitions, and has always meant that

A welcome Law change

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

In practice this will mean: Ball is kicked from a penalty – A player kicks the ball into touch (either directly or first bouncing in the field of play or touching a player or the referee). Location of mark: Where the ball reaches the touchline. Who: Kicking team.
    Time has expired. Red take PK for touch. As ball is about to cross touchline, Blue player jumps up and:

1. knocks ball backwards into touch : lineout to Red

2. knocks ball backwards into Fop : play on

3. knocks ball forward into FoP : end of half (assuming no advantage to Red)

4. knocks ball forward into touch : "Red captain, you have scrum/lineout option. If you choose scrum, end of half"

5. catches ball then places foot in touch : ???

I also wonder why they used "field of play" and not "playing area". Certainly unlikely, but PK lands in-goal then bounces backwards into touch : end of half
    Last edited by Dickie E; 26-05-21 at 22:05.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    Time has expired. Red take PK for touch. As ball is about to cross touchline, Blue player jumps up and:

5. catches ball then places foot in touch : ???
    So in effect that's caught the ball and taken into touch? Half ends, as not the same as touched backwards into touch?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8

If you want to be certain of getting the throw-in after a last second PK, just kick definitely into touch. Anything else risks not achieving your intent (cf mis-cueing into TiG).
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by chbg View Post
    If you want to be certain of getting the throw-in after a last second PK, just kick definitely into touch. Anything else risks not achieving your intent (cf mis-cueing into TiG).
    of course. Similarly a goal kicker just needs to make sure the ball goes over the crossbar to avoid having to worry about what happens if it hits the post
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by chbg View Post
    which was what the law said before - had to be kicked 'directly' into touch.

but now they have softened the law saying it's OK if it bounces, clock is still on.

(Previous logic was that if it bounced then the ball was successfully returned to play, and then subsequently went into touch, time gone. Similar to logic used for kick offs - if it bounces the kick off is good, no options or anything)
    I liked the old logic better, but I think the new version matches what most people expected.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    which was what the law said before - had to be kicked 'directly' into touch.

but now they have softened the law saying it's OK if it bounces, clock is still on.

(Previous logic was that if it bounced then the ball was successfully returned to play, and then subsequently went into touch, time gone. Similar to logic used for kick offs - if it bounces the kick off is good, no options or anything)
    I liked the old logic better, but I think the new version matches what most people expected.
    So does that now mean that if a kick off bounces into touch (after the clock is dead) that the game hasn't restarted and it has to be taken again? Just as if they kicked it straight into touch?

More unintended consequences?

I also like the fact that they call this adjustment to the law "unintended consequences of current law".

Which is a strange way to say we fu**ed up the re-write

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    So does that now mean that if a kick off bounces into touch (after the clock is dead) that the game hasn't restarted and it has to be taken again? Just as if they kicked it straight into touch?

:
    excellent point.

more unintended consequences.

Thread Information