Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lifting Tackle

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North Referees
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Lifting Tackle

I encountered a U14 team that had clearly been coached to lift in the tackle. This was mostly done legally, however on two occasions a player was lifted off the ground, held in the air in a helpless situation, tupped beyond the horizontal, and then dropped to the ground landing hips first.

which laws apply?
    how the above should be ruled under the laws
    how to manage repeated lifting tackles in a game
    Last edited by Greig; 03-06-21 at 02:06.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Central Australian Rugby Referees
    Grade
    B3

Default Re: Lifting Tackle

At U14?
    Ugh. I'm not sure, at that age grade, there's very much you can say on the field that will undo what a coach has spent ages drumming into them.

I think I'd penalize and card the ones that need it, and speak to the captain as you ordinarily would do. If it's H1, try to have a quick word with the coach to tell them what you're seeing and why it's concerning.

G'luck.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North Referees
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    If it's H1, try to have a quick word with the coach to tell them what you're seeing and why it's concerning.

G'luck.
    What is H1?

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

I guess if its becoming a trend in a game, you can start blowing immediately you see a lifted tackle "begin" and PK it as dangerous play.

I appreciate that in reality even that is possibly too late to stop the tackle-in-progress from completing with lift and potentially dump, but it may send a message to the players (if at the age of 13 they can cognitively comprehend it all) to stop using the technique - at least in that game.

How lucky that coach must be to have an entire squad that makes all normal tackles from all directions with established and working defensive systems such that he can then coach them to the "next level" ... (Irony alert).

didds
    Last edited by didds; 03-06-21 at 09:06.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Greig,

this is from the ARU GMGs and should be your guidance:

Lifting tackles that place players in danger of injury must have serious consequences.
    The onus is on the tackler to complete the tackle safely. Dropping or throwing tackled players once they are in a
    dangerous position is to be strongly sanctioned.

Any time a tackled player's legs are lifted above horizontal it should result in a yellow card as a minimum.
    If the tackled player is lifted and lands on their shoulder or head area it should result in a red card.

Pretty unequivocal
    Last edited by Dickie E; 03-06-21 at 11:06.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    Greig,

Lifting tackles that place players in danger of injury must have serious consequences.
    The onus is on the tackler to complete the tackle safely. Dropping or throwing tackled players once they are in a

Any time a tackled player's legs are lifted above horizontal it should result in a yellow card as a minimum.
    If the tackled player is lifted and lands on their shoulder or head area it should result in a red card.

Pretty unequivocal
    In line with my thinking. At that age it's off you go. I'd also speake to my society to raise the issue so future refs are ready for it.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Central Australian Rugby Referees
    Grade
    B3

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    What is H1?
    1st Half
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North Referees
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    I guess if its becoming a trend in a game, you can start blowing immediately you see a lifted tackle "begin" and PK it as dangerous play.
    Thanks Didds, that is exactly what I did. I did not YC, because players were trying very hard to lift legally. When it continued after the PK, I did another PK, this time a warned the team, for repeated infringements. “Lifting tackles must stop”.

I appreciate that in reality even that is possibly too late to stop the tackle-in-progress from completing with lift and potentially dump, but it may send a message to the players (if at the age of 13 they can cognitively comprehend it all) to stop using the technique - at least in that game.
    They got it, and stopped lifting.

The problem was that the coach was unhappy, and stated this loudly from the sideline.

How lucky that coach must be to have an entire squad that makes all normal tackles from all directions with established and working defensive systems such that he can then coach them to the "next level" ... (Irony alert).
    Exactly. However I am certain the coach would say to the players that I got it wrong. The problem is that a lift tackle is not illegal until it is deemed dangerous, and this is leaving room for this coach to exploit.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North Referees
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    Greig,

Pretty unequivocal
    I would not say unequivocal - there is room for interpretation here, for coaches to exploit. The players were working very hard to complete the tackles safely, they were being coached to. The lifting was only 10-20 cm from the ground, and "dangerous" and "beyond horizontal" was hard to rule with certainty. I could not quite justify a YC. The problem is that I cannot say categorically that lifting is illegal.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North Referees
    Grade
    Select Grade

Here are the laws that apply to lifting tackle:

9.11 Players must not do anything that is reckless or dangerous to others.
    9.17 A player must not tackle, charge, pull, push or grasp an opponent whose feet are off the ground.
    9.18 A player must not lift an opponent off the ground and drop or drive that player so that their head and/or upper body make contact with the ground.

Perhaps the application of 9.17 is controversial as it is intended for players jumping to catch the ball. But if used in this context, it provides a law to cover lifted players being deliberately manipulated in the air, and so makes illegal any follow through after a lift.

Can this be used to fill the fill the gap between safe and dangerous lift? A means to interpret and sanction repeated lifting tackles. Thoughts?

Thread Information