Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Asking for Numbers

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1

Default Re: Asking for Numbers

I've just told a captain that their not obliged to tell the opponents or me how many they're putting in. But if they don't tell me I'll assume its a full man LO. Therefore not penalise for a mismatch. I f they tell me, I'll let the non throwing team know once (each LO), and penalise if there's still too many.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    I've just told a captain that their not obliged to tell the opponents or me how many they're putting in. But if they don't tell me I'll assume its a full man LO. Therefore not penalise for a mismatch. I f they tell me, I'll let the non throwing team know once (each LO), and penalise if there's still too many.
    It rather depends how quickly they throw in. They are not obliged to leave the opponents time to adjust numbers. If they don't leave (enough) time, then you don't ping.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1

USARR's new GMGs say that "The throwing team does not need to inform either the referee or the opposition of their numbers. It is the referee's responsibility to count the number of players in the lineout, and if possible, may warn the non-throwing team before sanctioning." (bold from original document)

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post

You're right that they are not obliged to say how many. But on what grounds do you take that as allowing the other side to not match numbers? You can't make up laws to suit yourself. As long and the non throwing-in side has time to reduce numbers you should manage things. Which may mean a warning of ping first time but you can't assume it's full.

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    As long and the non throwing-in side has time to reduce numbers you should manage things.
    If they don't have time to reduce then it's not an issue anyway!

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2

That's why I used the wording I did.

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    That's why I used the wording I did.
    Not clear to me. .You seem to be saying that if there is time to reduce numbers then it's OK to manage it.
    My point is that if the throw in occurs immediately the LO is formed then the numbers matching is not penalisable anyway so is irrelevant.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2

YOu manage numbers buy having the option of a warning for the firat offence if it ios not material or going for a FK if it is. If the throw in comes to early then you have no offence to mannage according to law so nothing to manage. Hence "s long and the non throwing-in side has time to reduce numbers you should manage things." Why would you manage a non offence? I thought that would be obvious.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

taking a step back -- what is the purpose of this Law anyway

A sanction for having too many in the line implies that having more people in the lineout is an advantage ...

However teams putting in reduced numbers and throwing quickly before the oppo adjust obviously believe they are putting the oppo at a disadvantage (the logic, presumably is that the oppo now have too few people out wide)

So which is it?
    Or is it neither an advantage nor a disadvantage, so then what is the Law for?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Blog Entries

Personally I have never given a FK for numbers, I have always managed it.

There is always some reason you can stop play and use that time to get them to sort the numbers out.

Peep. Gentlemen, can we maintain the gap please.....and sort your numbers out while your at it please.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Thread Information