Thread: Uncontested scrum / numbers debarcle

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Default Uncontested scrum / numbers debarcle

Interesting touch line conversation, accusations of cheating and everything. Thought Ian Tempest managed it well really - was Pat Lamb trying to pull a fast one and gambled on the wrong option?

https://www.rugbydump.com/news/huge-...BXO5G3aAmw1Qlk

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Yet to join
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Re: Uncontested scrum / numbers debarcle

Although the Ref made it very clear it was all avoidable. I felt that the genesis of the problem was the lack of management of Leicester's loose head, he had been continually pulling it down and was not penalised for it. The same lack of management led to the yellow card maybe addressing that 20 mins earlier would have prevented the issue.

I would dare to suggest Bristol were not aware that they would drop to 13 men if they wanted uncontested.

As it happened the replacement was clearly tactical, so once the original tight head came back and the contest was fairer the Leics poor control enabled the Bristol scrum half to snaffle the ball as it popped out of channel 1 and clear it. Peep!

I feel there may be some repercussions!

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Referee Ian Tempest then told Lam that because the yellow card was awarded for an infringement at a scrum, if Bristol could not perform contested scrums then they would have to remove a second player as well as the sin binned prop
    is that a thing? So if the YC had been for an infringement not at a scrum, they would go uncontested with no 2nd player removed?
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    is that a thing? So if the YC had been for an infringement not at a scrum, they would go uncontested with no 2nd player removed?
    I think that’s a misquote / misinterpretation - the fact that it’s a YC means they will drop another player (not the case in other RFU leagues), if they were losing the player due to head injury or foul play injury they could have kept 15 and gone uncontested

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    I would guess it is because the lack of a STE front row would only become apparent at the next scrum. So you play on and when the next scum comes along "Can you scrummage?" " No Ref". "Ok uncontested and another player goes off".

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Central Australian Rugby Referees
    Grade
    B3

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    I would guess it is because the lack of a STE front row would only become apparent at the next scrum. So you play on and when the next scum comes along "Can you scrummage?" " No Ref". "Ok uncontested and another player goes off".
    Seems reasonable. If I bin a FR player, I make the team wait until we have an actual scrum to make all their positional changes.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Thread Information