Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Law Trials

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Default Global Law Trials

Some homework for the next month https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/global-law-trials although most of the videos aren’t working for me.

Some new interpretations around latching too, flying wedge redefined but single player latching ok, and an attempt to redefine the jackal as well, need clarity from the videos for this, I think it’s trying to prevent lower leg / knee injuries but dodging the croc roll issue?

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Re: Global Law Trials

Bit of a mixed bag but some of these are still a mess. Why leave ambiguity with the flying wedge definition, which implies it does not exist in open field play, but then use examples from rucks?

Why have a law which forbids collapsing of a ruck, but specifically allow a Jackler to be “levered” out of the contest?

I like the goal line drop out laws, although it’s funny how the text refers to kicks to be taken without delay, yet the videos show prolonged delay (20 seconds or more) before the kick is made. Seems we need to define “without delay” with a time limit.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Blog Entries

Notes to self:

As well as the 50/22 watch for balls being passed back across the half way line (as well as the 22)

Attacking kick into in-goal, grounded by the defender, is now a goal line DO, not a 22 DO

1 latcher ok as long as he stays on his feet.

2 latchers is now called a mini scrum and is illegal?

All the examples of targeting the legs of the jackler were side entry anyway so already illegal?

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    Notes to self:

As well as the 50/22 watch for balls being passed back across the half way line (as well as the 22)

Attacking kick into in-goal, grounded by the defender, is now a goal line DO, not a 22 DO

1 latcher ok as long as he stays on his feet.

2 latchers is now called a mini scrum and is illegal?

All the examples of targeting the legs of the jackler were side entry anyway so already illegal?
    Agree with all of them, think the kick into goal then grounded will catch a few out. It also means we're legitimising the croc roll (before it was arguably illegal in a couple of areas but never penalised), so now an officially sanctioned tactic - always nervous of this in junior rugby.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post

note to defender: make sure you kick or carry it over DBL and avoid grounding it
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    note to defender: make sure you kick or carry it over DBL and avoid grounding it
    Is that something they've missed whilst drafting the law or has that been happening during the initial trials?

Otherwise all seems logical and the clarification around latching is very welcome.

Flish's point resonates and I hope they ban croc rolls in the U19 variations but not sure they will. I'm also uneasy about the legalisation of cavalry charges, particularly in youth rugby, but appreciate others think it is fine.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jz558 View Post
    Is that something they've missed whilst drafting the law or has that been happening during the initial trials?
    From the wording of the law that seems to have been intentional.

Other restart kicks (drop-outs)

Play is restarted with a 22-metre drop-out when, apart from at a kick-off or restart kick, the ball is played or taken into in-goal by an attacking player and is made dead by an opponent.

Play is restarted with a goal line drop-out when:
    - The ball is played or taken into in-goal by an attacking player and is held up by an opponent.
    - An attacking kick, other than a kick-off, restart kick following a score, drop goal or penalty attempt, is grounded by the defending team in their own in-goal.
    - An attacking player knocks on in the opponents’ in-goal.

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

It certainly does seem intentional although I'd be interested to understand why they thought the distinction was necessary. Unless you were competing to get to the ball first it seems obvious to kick it out and get the drop out 22m further upfield.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Quote Originally Posted by Jz558 View Post

Flish's point resonates and I hope they ban croc rolls in the U19 variations but not sure they will. I'm also uneasy about the legalisation of cavalry charges, particularly in youth rugby, but appreciate others think it is fine.
    I've asked the question as to whether this applies to the age grade laws in RFU land as normally we take U19 laws and uphold them unless specifically told different. The WR site just says 'All Competitions', although there is a suggestion that the RFU can cherry pick which bits to trial.

I have no problems with the 50:22 in junior rugby if they can pull it off, but I don't think the problems the other trials are trying to prevent exist there, and it may create new ones, so hoping they are not applied.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Blog Entries

50/22 and the goal line drop out are definitely going ahead from August 1st in RFU land, but haven seen anything from them yet regarding the latching and jackling.

Thread Information