Thread: Global Law Trials

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Quebec Society of Rugby Referees
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Re: Global Law Trials

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    So, just a couple of quick ones on the 3 or more players being pre bound.

Does the to be ball carrier count as 1 of the 3? Or is it just the players bound to him?
    I'm also guessing the the 3 players can bind once the ball has been received. Meaning all the attackers need to do is stay very close and bind (before contact), just after the ball is received. Making the Law change moot as we'll have the same result... 3 players (or more) bound together charging through to the defensive line.

Or am I missing something.
    I think the point of the variation is to forbid pre-binding before contact, not before the ball carrier receives the ball. Or have I missed something?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan

Am I correct that if a player from the same team is bound to the ball carrier and an opposing player binds above the waist - that immediately forms a maul? But if they grasp below the waist and try to bring them down that is a tackle?

Also if you are bound to the ball carrier in open play and not offside, but an opposing player is running on a line that would intercept the ball carrier were it not for the precence of the bound player - is the bound player obstructing the tackle?

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1

Ah, I've just went onto the WR site. I was reading from a 2nd hand source that specified prior to receiving the ball.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post

Dead: The ball is dead when the referee blows the whistle to stop play or following an unsuccessful conversion.
    Dead-ball line: The line at either end (and not part) of the playing area.
    Defending team: The team in whose half play is taking place.
    Directly caught: A ball caught without first touching anyone else or the ground.
    Drop-kick: After being intentionally dropped to the ground from the hand or hands, the ball is kicked as it rises from its first bounce.

Indeed 'Defending Team' is defined, but 'Defender' isn't, though they look similar they mean different things. The English language is tricky like that. Defense/Defence is another one. You could show more deference and be less defensive.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 1

Quote Originally Posted by Camquin View Post
    Am I correct that if a player from the same team is bound to the ball carrier and an opposing player binds above the waist - that immediately forms a maul? But if they grasp below the waist and try to bring them down that is a tackle?

Also if you are bound to the ball carrier in open play and not offside, but an opposing player is running on a line that would intercept the ball carrier were it not for the precence of the bound player - is the bound player obstructing the tackle?
    I don't think in practice you'd call a maul immediately, you'd let a dynamic situation breath for a few seconds to see if it could be a tackle.

I think the latched player is entitled to the space and wouldn't be obstructing unless they changed their line to make contact with a potential tackler.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 1

Interesting question posed in another forum:

Does the 50/22 law apply to kickoffs/restart kicks that go indirectly into touch inside the 22?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    Interesting question posed in another forum:

Does the 50/22 law apply to kickoffs/restart kicks that go indirectly into touch inside the 22?
    I see no reason why not. They only infringe if they go directly into touch; indirectly into touch means that they have been playable by the opposition. No such exception to the 50:22 has been expressed.
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    Indeed 'Defending Team' is defined, but 'Defender' isn't, though they look similar they mean different things. The English language is tricky like that. Defense/Defence is another one. You could show more deference and be less defensive.
    Well, I dunno

You are saying that a defender is different from being a member of the defending team?

That's a subtlety that def escapes me !

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Default Re: The Times - new laws

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    Every video example I saw was in the side for me, so not sure why they aren't being penalised already?
    Is this one aimed mainly at the professional game?
    Have to assume so, we were discussing it at training tonight (Level 6/7 standard players) and no one could realistically see how you’d be hitting the lower legs with a legitimate clear out, you had to be in at the side, or maybe driving across in such a way that’s going to paint a similar picture

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Well, I dunno

You are saying that a defender is different from being a member of the defending team?

That's a subtlety that def escapes me !
    defender = member of the team not in possession? Not officially defined but a reasonable understanding

Thread Information