Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: These goal line dropouts

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11

Default Re: These goal line dropouts

The other team arranged the ref, so I honestly don't know if it was direct or via the local society, but he did have his society shirt on. Regarding the 6 minute yellow card, he did tell me that was specifically detailed in the guidelines he was given by the local society

On this occasion it was an u15 game (following u14 law variations); however, the same club arranged a different society ref last year when we were u14 (wearing his shirt, but I'm not sure how he was appointed; however, I believe he is associated with the club).

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Clearly some confusion, and I have heard some coaches claiming that yes it should be U14 laws but U15 timings (30 mins and 6 min yellow instead of 25 mins and 5 min yellow), and I have no idea where that's come from as for me the match length and card length are in the same PDF file as the rest of the law variations for that age.

As an aside, I've never been told not to wear my society shirt when reffing a non appointed game, or vice versa, in fact most of my shirts are just Gilbert refs shirts as opposed to Society labelled ones, so most of the time I'm not wearing one - does it matter? I understand insurance, appointment etc, and possibly slightly different for me as I'm insured as coach too, and I am an active society ref as opposed to the guy at the club who hasn't been active in the society for 10 years - am intrigued how others are guided on this though?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Check with your society , our rules are very clear .. no appointment no shirt.
    But you certainly have the option to phone the appointments guy , tell him/her about the game , get it loaded up and *if you are suitable* to appoint you to it

It's the "If you are suitable" bit that is important here .. which in this case would include "do you know the age group regs and are you DBs checked"

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Check with your society , our rules are very clear .. no appointment no shirt.
    But you certainly have the option to phone the appointments guy , tell him/her about the game , get it loaded up and *if you are suitable* to appoint you to it

It's the "If you are suitable" bit that is important here .. which in this case would include "do you know the age group regs and are you DBs checked"
    TBF it only happens with games where I'm involved with the team already, part of my club, and I'm already considered suitable for all teams apart from our 1st XV (L3) so it's normally a case of 'this is happening can you put it on the system' which works. I can see how it would be different if it was another club, asking me as an external ref to do a game not via the appointments system though.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    TBF it only happens with games where I'm involved with the team already, part of my club, and I'm already considered suitable for all teams apart from our 1st XV (L3) so it's normally a case of 'this is happening can you put it on the system' which works. I can see how it would be different if it was another club, asking me as an external ref to do a game not via the appointments system though.
    In our society either case : no appointment = no shirt.

I would be surprised if it was not the same for you

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

In our society either case : no appointment = no shirt.

I would be surprised if it was not the same for you
    What's other societies take on this? Hell I've been a society ref > 4 years now and only had a society shirt 4 weeks!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

the other way round (wearing your own shirt on a society game) is not a crime (but the sponsors would wonder why they are spending all that money on shirts....)

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

the other way round (wearing your own shirt on a society game) is not a crime (but the sponsors would wonder why they are spending all that money on shirts....)
    Sponsors? I had to buy my own and only words on it are 'Macron' and 'Durham Referees Society'! There's a reason I haven't had one for 4 years

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    What's other societies take on this? Hell I've been a society ref > 4 years now and only had a society shirt 4 weeks!
    Phone call comes in "we had this society ref at our game and blah blah blah". You look it up on the system and ... We didn't send a society ref to that game.. who was it ???

You can see why no appointment, no shirt
    Last edited by crossref; 3 Weeks Ago at 17:09.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Phone call comes in "we had this society ref at our game and blah blah blah". You look it up on the system and ... We didn't send a society ref to that game.. who was it ???

You can see why no appointment, no shirt
    Oh I totally understand the logic, it’s just not something I’ve heard dictated, not had to consider that’s all, it makes sense

Thread Information