Thread: Springboks v Lions

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Default Re: Springboks v Lions

Quote Originally Posted by TigerCraig View Post
    Struggling to know what the Boks alternative was. He had eyes on the ball and was in position where it was due to land. The Lion launches himself recklessly
    yes, generally I detect WR moving away from rigid application of the frameworks, and back to a more empathetic approach.

2 weeks ago BOK followed the framework and got rapped on the knuckles for it
    this week BOK exercised a bit of discretion and the citing officer agrees with him .

there have been one or two other examples where I have thought that, but can't recall specifics.

Anyone else think this could be happening?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by shebeen View Post
    But Gatland gets a free pass for criticising the appointment of the TMO because he did it publicly through the media?

“Match officials are the backbone of the sport, and without them there is no game. World Rugby condemns any public criticism of their selection, performance or integrity which undermines their role....

Either way this process is underway now, hopefully the outcome is better systems in the long run.

If you read WR's statement they comment about BOTH camps! THe view the RSA breech the more serious gfor the reasons they give. Gatland, whilst "scoring points" was objecting to the principle and NOT a specific referee. Erasmus was directly referring to the official himself.

The difference is pretty obvious.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    Im not sure how though?

after being played in the air

* first point of contact with the ground was Murray's foot
    * second point of contact with the ground was his outstretched hand
    * third point of contact seemed to be his back, just behind the shoulder.
    The foot was not in any way load bearing, and players reaching out to protect their head/neck doesn't mitigate where the impact would have been - otherwise you might get players trying to suppress their reflex to make it worse.

I thought the contact was head/shoulder - I don't see how it could have been his back, as he came down face-first.
    https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/chesl...ingboks-233531
    If it was his back, then YC is justified.

I'm also not a fan of the framework here, by the way

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

yes, my understanding is that a player managing to put out a hand to save himself from horrible injury should NOT be treated as a mitigating factor.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    yes, my understanding is that a player managing to put out a hand to save himself from horrible injury should NOT be treated as a mitigating factor.
    Personally I think if aplayer jumps they are responsible for having a safe place to land. While other players have to allow them that space, they shouldn't be penalised for standing their ground.
    Last edited by TigerCraig; 03-08-21 at 12:08.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by TigerCraig View Post
    Personally I think if aplayer jumps they are responsible for having a safe place to land. While other players have to allow them that space, they shouldn't be penalised for standing their ground.
    yes, but the complicated ones are when (like last weekend) both players are moving at speed.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    None

If Kolbe had been in the air, even by millimetres, and looking throughout at the ball (as he clearly was), is it then a fair contest, and no fault either way? And is there any case that Murray was in fact the reckless one? From the video it appears his hip hit Kolbe in the head. If it had been his foot, or his knee, would HE have been the one penalised? I think the ref made a pretty pragmatic decision, in the circumstances.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by dfobrien View Post
    If Kolbe had been in the air, even by millimetres, and looking throughout at the ball (as he clearly was), is it then a fair contest, and no fault either way? And is there any case that Murray was in fact the reckless one? From the video it appears his hip hit Kolbe in the head. If it had been his foot, or his knee, would HE have been the one penalised? I think the ref made a pretty pragmatic decision, in the circumstances.
    I agree with this view 100%.

I despise this outcome-driven bullshit about protecting the player in the air ever since it began a few years ago with the Finn Russel yellow card...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWIOPJIZpvc

.. one, and only one player is responsible for what happened to Biggar here.. and that is Biggar himself. He runs full speed and recklessly launches himself at Russel, who is following the most basic and fundamental tenet of the game... don't take your eyes off the ball - and for that, he gets clattered by a dangerous & irresponsible idiot, and is awarded with 10 minutes out of the game doing so.

The law should allow a player to stand his ground to catch the ball, and not have some cockhead jumping at him and putting him and everyone around him danger of getting knees or sprigs in their face. If WR are being honest about protecting the welfare of players, they should make the hard call and ban players from jumping to catch a kicked ball.
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 04-08-21 at 09:08. Reason: Fixed typo
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    I agree with this view 100%.

I despise this outcome-driven bullshit about protecting the player in the air ever since it began a few years ago with the Finn Russel yellow card...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWIOPJIZpvc

.. one, and only one player is responsible for what happened to Biggar here.. and that is Biggar himself. He runs full speed and recklessly launches himself at Russel, who is following the most basic and fundamental tenet of the game... don't take your eyes off the ball - and for that, he gets clattered by a dangerous & irresponsible idiot, and is awarded with 10 minutes out of the for game doing so.

The law should allow a player to stand his ground to catch the ball, and not have some cockhead jumping at him and putting him and everyone around him danger of getting knees or sprigs in their face. If WR are being honest about protecting the welfare of players, they should make the hard call and ban players from jumping to catch a kicked ball.
    if we still had 'likes' I would have clicked 'like' to this post
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 04-08-21 at 09:08. Reason: fixed typo in my quote
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

ditto - the only query here is how to define jumping for a kicked ball - how high is "a jump" to be a "jump" and not just both feet off the ground whilst running, or hurdling a prone player ie due to second party actions? Its these things that need to be teased out to make such a change workable... but I reiterate the whole scenario has just gone round and round and round ...

Thread Information