Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Default Springboks v Lions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIAcDwH7xyo

Disclaimers:
    1. this isn't the best quality video but all I can find
    2. Nic Berry isn't my favourite referee but obviously well considered to get this Test. I think he gets panicky when big calls needed.

There's a penalty awarded to Red at 22 minutes game time which is a BIG call. Game evenly poised and an early try to Green could have swung the game.

Was the penalty awarded to Red 4 a good call or does Itoje have knees resting on tackled player? There's a replay at 22:26
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

Default Re: Springboks v Lions

IMO...

PK#1. Red 7 had the first attempt to jackle, but forearms on the ground so he was not supporting his bodyweight. Ruck formed.

PK#2. Red 4 was second in with hands to an already formed ruck

PK#3. Red 4 was kneeling on the Green tackled player, so not supporting his bodyweight anyway.

That should have been a clear PK to Green for any one of those three reasons.
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NLMOT PR

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    IMO...

PK#1. Red 7 had the first attempt to jackle, but forearms on the ground so he was not supporting his bodyweight. Ruck formed.

PK#2. Red 4 was second in with hands to an already formed ruck

PK#3. Red 4 was kneeling on the Green tackled player, so not supporting his bodyweight anyway.

That should have been a clear PK to Green for any one of those three reasons.
    1 - red 7 was being played by a green player and that was why he went off feet. Would have been harsh to have penalised.
    2 - difficult one for players and ref. The red 7 and green player had rolled to side so it was not obvious a ruck had actually formed. No comms from ref. But strictly speaking yes.
    3 - Initially hands went on ball before knees went on player so perhaps that was why the ref gave penalty to red. Again no comms from ref. He could have got away with having a hands off call and play on if he wasn’t sure.

Overall didn’t think it was a penalty to red even when watching it live and at full speed.

A review of this refereeing performance would have given me plenty to write about in my report and discuss with the ref. Inconsistencies, communication and positioning (he missed far too many things that required TMO input) would be high on the agenda.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Quebec Society of Rugby Referees
    Grade
    Select Grade

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Wasps
    Grade
    Former member of RFU TJ p

Thank you, Balones. I find your points about communication most interesting. In RFU-land we have become used to a constant stream of instruction/comment/advice even from the very best, eg WB, LP. By comparison the S Hemisphere refs seem almost silent, eg Jaco Peyper (a very good ref but was he at his best for SA A v Lions?) and Nic Berry.
    Do we need a halfway house?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade

I didn't notice many secondary signals either when he was giving penalties which for me is basic stuff.
    Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NLMOT PR

Quote Originally Posted by dickell View Post
    Thank you, Balones. I find your points about communication most interesting. In RFU-land we have become used to a constant stream of instruction/comment/advice even from the very best, eg WB, LP. By comparison the S Hemisphere refs seem almost silent, eg Jaco Peyper (a very good ref but was he at his best for SA A v Lions?) and Nic Berry.
    Do we need a halfway house?
    When advising/coaching refs I try to emphasise ‘appropriate communication at appropriate times’ rather than mention quantity. Each game requires different amounts depending on the nature (sometimes level) of the game.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Wasps
    Grade
    Former member of RFU TJ p

Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    When advising/coaching refs I try to emphasise ‘appropriate communication at appropriate times’ rather than mention quantity. Each game requires different amounts depending on the nature (sometimes level) of the game.
    Thank you. Yes, but there does seem to be a lack of uniformity even among the best.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

disclaimer: South african

due to covid+, neutral TMO is out and a local ref is appointed:
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...ons-v-21131840
    no big deal, except for Lions coach Warren Gatland making a huge fuss about it.

come game time, TMO makes about 6/7 decisions, every single one of them goes the way of the Lions. Some of them marginal, others clear cut. when referee asks for C&O to reverse decicision, the evidence is mud.
    I could list them and reference them, but all over the web already.

rub of the green, or clear pressure put on by coach/media? Should there be protection from World Rugby against this?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by shebeen View Post
    disclaimer: South african

due to covid+, neutral TMO is out and a local ref is appointed:
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...ons-v-21131840
    no big deal, except for Lions coach Warren Gatland making a huge fuss about it.

come game time, TMO makes about 6/7 decisions, every single one of them goes the way of the Lions. Some of them marginal, others clear cut. when referee asks for C&O to reverse decicision, the evidence is mud.
    I could list them and reference them, but all over the web already.

rub of the green, or clear pressure put on by coach/media? Should there be protection from World Rugby against this?
    WR made a massive error, and it's totally unfair to MJ.

They have Mathieu Raynal and Ben Okeef both there, as they are reffing #2 and #3 - one of them should be TMO, and somone else come in as AR.

Thread Information