Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Default Cavalry Charge no longer illegal

Well, that's interesting
    The prohibition on Cavalry Charge has been removed from the new Law Book
    See 9.23 and the definitions

So presumably we will see teams start to use that move again .. it will be like the old days.

But I find that quite surprising

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Default Re: Cavalry Charge no longer illegal

so question for didds - as our resident coach ?

Will you prepare a Cavalry Charge move for the September ? I think it would work!

But there is a good chance the ref won't be aware of the Law change, and will ping it - so do you check it with the ref in advance (and possibly lose the advantage of surprise if he mentions to the oppo?)

As a ref I thnik this change is quite challenging to manage : if a Cavalry Charge is dangerous (as we were led to believe) a surprise Cavalry Charge must be even more dangerous still. Should teams be warned?

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

From https://www.englandrugby.com/dxdam/83/833a8e4b-7db1-466e-90cc-80fa5b4c51d9/Global%20Law%20Trials%20-%20Points%20of%20Clarification.pdf

RFU Comments sent to World Rugby
    Is the Cavalry Charge no longer an illegal type of attack?

World Rugby Reply
    It rarely happens and if it does, it could be dealt with under law 9.11 if the game situation appears to be dangerous play.
    This I like, makes my life simpler, no was it / wasn’t it debate, just a simple, “I saw that as dangerous play, so PK”

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

well I never could understand why they were ever thought dangerous in first place --- it's just a player taking the ball at speed. Happens all the time, normally we applaud.

GLOBAL LAW TRIAL
    Cavalry charge: An illegal type of attack, which usually happens near the goal line, when the attacking team is awarded a penalty or free-kick. At a signal from the kicker, a line of attacking players charge forward from a distance. When they get near, the kicker taps the ball and passes to a player.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

BTW world rugby's answer is just crazy

RFU Comments sent to World Rugby World Rugby Reply
    Is the Cavalry Charge no longer an illegal
    type of attack?

Answer
    It rarely happens and if it does, it could be
    dealt with under law 9.11 if the game
    situation appears to be dangerous play
    the reason it rarely happens is because it's illegal !

now it is legal, I expect we'll see it quite frequently. We already see PKs close to the line taken as quick taps, from next month it will be a quick tap passed to someone running at speed. Of course.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    BTW world rugby's answer is just crazy

RFU Comments sent to World Rugby World Rugby Reply
    Is the Cavalry Charge no longer an illegal
    type of attack?

the reason it rarely happens is because it's illegal !

now it is legal, I expect we'll see it quite frequently. We already see PKs close to the line taken as quick taps, from next month it will be a quick tap passed to someone running at speed. Of course.
    Was one person running onto take a pass from a quickly tapped ball previously illegal? No signal and no line of players.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    Was one person running onto take a pass from a quickly tapped ball previously illegal? No signal and no line of players.
    it used to be illegal until 2017, then they changed it to only multiple players being illegal.

but we didn't see one person running, did we? is that your point?

yes, I wonder why not - because no one noticed? Because one person running is a bit obvious who it's going to ?

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    so question for didds - as our resident coach ?

Will you prepare a Cavalry Charge move for the September ? I think it would work!
    I think the honest answer to that question is another question first - am I preparing a team to win matches, or become better players?

the reality of that for me is am I coaching a club 1st XV or an U16s squad?

1st XV squad - I'd be checking with my local refs society to ensure that if it occurred there wouod be NO penalty - and also each individual ref each week - and would be allowed to occur for starters. Then yes, I probably would intriduce it into the armoury. Along with ways to defend it.

If I am coaching an U16 squad - probably not. For many reasons, including the elf and safetee of my players at a young age, but also that given the amount of opportunities to use it compared to scrums, lineouts, rucks,mauls, kickoffs and restarts why would i take time away from improving those six ?

didds
    Last edited by didds; 03-08-21 at 18:08.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

I think they are coming back!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NLMOT PR

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    I think the honest answer to that question is another question first - am I preparing a team to win matches, or become better players?

the reality of that for me is am I coaching a club 1st XV or an U16s squad?

1st XV squad - I'd be checking with my local refs society to ensure that if it occurred there wouod be NO penalty - and also each individual ref each week - and would be allowed to occur for starters. Then yes, I probably would intriduce it into the armoury. Along with ways to defend it.

If I am coaching an U16 squad - probably not. For many reasons, including the elf and safetee of my players at a young age, but also that given the amount of opportunities to use it compared to scrums, lineouts, rucks,mauls, kickoffs and restarts why would i take time away from improving those six ?

didds
    A well reasoned response. I think the real problem will arise from the fact that some CCs will look more dangerous than others. Also, when does the ref blow the whistle? Before contact is made or early because it looks dangerous? If I was a short 12 stone player standing on the line looking at a big 19 stone player gathering speed I’d hope it would be early!

Thread Information