Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cavalry Charge no longer illegal

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh - ERRS
    Grade
    Level 6

Default Re: Cavalry Charge no longer illegal

The LIKE button seems to have disappeared so I just wanted to say that I agree 100% having dealt with that situation a few times back in the day and come off on the worse side of collisions before it was banned.

I see no logic whatsoever in removing a sensible law that has been accepted without challenge for years and now opening up the game for potentially dangerous situations and asking refs to judge as whether it looks dangerous or not.
    If we blew every time we saw something that looked potentially dangerous then there would be no game.

Unnecessary confusion.
    Keep smiling!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    The LIKE button seems to have disappeared so I just wanted to say that I agree 100% having dealt with that situation a few times back in the day and come off on the worse side of collisions before it was banned.

I see no logic whatsoever in removing a sensible law that has been accepted without challenge for years and now opening up the game for potentially dangerous situations and asking refs to judge as whether it looks dangerous or not.
    If we blew every time we saw something that looked potentially dangerous then there would be no game.

Unnecessary confusion.
    What's dangerous about a cavalry charge (as defined)

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

I understand from previous discussions on the subject that there is a wide range of opinion on the matter with many seeing them as no more dangerous than a pick and go from the base of a scrum. My opinion of cavalry charges is formed from the number of defenders who I saw knocked unconscious defending a 5m penalty when I was playing. The answer from the RFU is ridiculous, as has been pointed out and I agree with Jolly Roger's comments in seeing no reason for removing a sensible law to replace it with a confused message at a time when we are trying to reduce concussions.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Jz558 View Post
    I understand from previous discussions on the subject that there is a wide range of opinion on the matter with many seeing them as no more dangerous than a pick and go from the base of a scrum. My opinion of cavalry charges is formed from the number of defenders who I saw knocked unconscious defending a 5m penalty when I was playing. The answer from the RFU is ridiculous, as has been pointed out and I agree with Jolly Roger's comments in seeing no reason for removing a sensible law to replace it with a confused message at a time when we are trying to reduce concussions.
    Can you describe the move? I wonder if was actually a flying wedge (lots of players latched on) rather than a cavalry charge (players spread out running decoy lines, ball goes to one of them)

Cavalry charge: An illegal type of attack, which usually happens near the goal line, when the attacking team is awarded a penalty or free-kick. At a signal from the kicker, a line of attacking players charge forward from a distance. When they get near, the kicker taps the ball and passes to a player.

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Can you describe the move? I wonder if was actually a flying wedge (lots of players latched on) rather than a cavalry charge (players spread out running decoy lines, ball goes to one of them)
    The move consists of the scrum half standing at the mark with the ball on the deck. On his/her signal the designated team mates run forward and the ball is passed to the chosen behemoth as, or shortly before, he/she gets level with the 9. The receiver has, at this stage, achieved flying speed and assumes that the momentum will take him/her over the goal line. This is, as you point out, different from a flying wedge.

The problem was that whilst the receiver is moving at full speed, the defence must remain stationary until the ball is played and, as this tactic is only effective from a 5m penalty, impact point is usually just in front of the goal line. The frequent injury rate was why it was banned in the first place. I must have missed the clamour for it to be reinstated.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NLMOT PR

The ball doesn’t have to be on the deck.
    When coaching I actually devised a move whereby the opposition couldn’t see the ball being kicked because other players blocked the view of the ball.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Jz558 View Post
    . I must have missed the clamour for it to be reinstated.
    indeed, I think it has taken everyone by surprise.

my theory is that the lawmakers were thinking about flying wedge type formations, where teammates latch on, and those situations of course are now all covered by the latching on trial.

i.e I suspect they have legalised the cavalry charge by accident.

I am absolutely sure we'll see it in action next season: for a team lucky enough to have a behemoth who can catch while charging into the oppo (not a small thing for some behemoths!) , it's an effective move.
    Last edited by crossref; 06-08-21 at 18:08.

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

That it was banned for being dangerous play during a period where no one gave a monkeys about concussion and raking was seen as the receivers fault for falling on the wrong side should perhaps be a bit of a clue. What troubles me is that players and teams at the upper levels will largely be able to cope but lower down the skill tree and in youth rugby I suspect we will feel the full unpleasant effects.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    i
    i.e I suspect they have legalised the cavalry charge by accident.
    And I 100% concur.

Yet again it is clear that NOBODY in the laws department EVER thinks what such (re)writes actually MEAN. If a bunch of (mostly) grass roots refs, coaches and supporters can spot this stuff all but immediately, how can THEY not?

didds

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

I like the removal of the Calvary charge definition as it removes something that was illogical. You can take a run up towards a ruck occurring within 5m of the goal line, but you can’t do it from a penalty.

If its dangerous, do something about rucks near the goal line so we have equivalence. If it’s not, remove the law. I’m comfortable with the law removal.

Thread Information