Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Charity Game with scrums and new laws!

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1

Default Re: Charity Game with scrums and new laws!

Quote Originally Posted by tim White View Post
    The problem for me if you call "Taken Back" is that you are giving a possible advantage of avoiding an error to the defending team -to the disadvantage of the attacking team.

Doesn't sit well with attacking players, doesn't sit well with me. By calling it throughout the game for consistency still doesn't make it right.
    Do you say nothing if the ball is passed or carried into the 22 or In-Goal?

You never say, Roll Away, or No Hands?

Do you help manage players that are Offside, or do you just wait for it to become material and then blow the PK?

What about warning about Repeat Infringements?

I'm not sure keeping information secret and making the players guess is the best approach to rugby refereeing.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

I agree with thepercy.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Blog Entries

Staffordshire Society advice is to call it in the same way we do for the 22m line.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Central Australian Rugby Referees
    Grade
    B3

If we had the like button, I'd have been using it.

Communicate for purpose. I can see both sides appreciating knowing which side of the line a ball was.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Blog Entries

For info on the game....
    We had no 50/22s
    We had one GL DO when the ball was kicked into in goal and dotted down by a defender.
    No latching

We had one interesting moment which I might have done better on, or maybe not.

"Attackers kicked ahead from inside the opposition 22, and the ball went right through in-goal and over the dead ball line.
    I blew the whistle and shouted options to the defending captain (scrum or 22DO) as I always have done.
    Attackers all ran to the 5m line thinking it was a GL DO.
    Defenders ran to the 22, kicked it over the 22, picked it up and ran the length of the field for a try."

Cue complaint from the Attacking Captain that I hadn't told them it went over the dead ball line so how were they to know it was a 22?

Would you have played on or stopped the game for a training session on when its a GL DO and when its a 22DO?

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    For info on the game....
    We had no 50/22s
    We had one GL DO when the ball was kicked into in goal and dotted down by a defender.
    No latching

"Attackers kicked ahead from inside the opposition 22, and the ball went right through in-goal and over the dead ball line.
    I blew the whistle and shouted options to the defending captain (scrum or 22DO) as I always have done.
    Defenders ran to the 22, kicked it over the 22, picked it up and ran the length of the field for a try."

Cue complaint from the Attacking Captain that I hadn't told them it went over the dead ball line so how were they to know it was a 22?

Would you have played on or stopped the game for a training session on when its a GL DO and when its a 22DO?
    Once the 22DO Option was chosen, did you do the 22DO signal and point to the 22M line?
    Last edited by thepercy; 11-08-21 at 17:08.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

I think that is a reasonable point with various caveats...

eg

* did the ball end up in the car park 50m away and was obviously over the DBL
    * did you call "22M drop out" loudly and clearly well before the defnders made the 22 d/o (ie see the point made in the above post)?

I accept that in reality the conceding skipper was just trying to be difficult, but depending on the circumstances maybe with some reason

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

I think it's play on .

caveat - if as a ref you felt you inadvertently contributed to the confusion, with an unclear signal, or yourself heading toward the 5m line or suchlike, then call it back.

I think after the game they'd all smile about that.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Camquin View Post
    CTrainor, in that case why tell them if they have carried back into the 22? Let them kick it out on the full and give the throw on the line.
    Surely the communication is there to ensure everyone one - incuding you - knows what you are thinking.
    After the points raised, I've changed my mind, I will call it, if I remember :-)
    Ciaran Trainor

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

given it was the teams' first experience of the new stuff, I would not have played on. Did the defenders verbally nominate their option or was the run to the 22 sufficient?
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Thread Information