Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Focus for Changes

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    London
    Grade
    New/Ungraded

Default Re: Focus for Changes

One of the issues as I see it is that half the team are replaced during a game. That means the big fellas only have to be fit enough to play 40 mins, hence they become bigger. My solution is simple - a player can only be replaced if s/he is injured. To ensure coach's do not cheat( as if they would!) a replaced player can not play for at least two games to ensure s/he recovers from injury. Then use of electronic score cards should make policing easy.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    i think it kind of was
    ah, yeah. get your point there. fair enough.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by dfobrien View Post
    But changes would "kill the game as a TV spectacle"? Surely that's already happened/happening..
    this is the problem when you try and make sport into entertainment.

When I step onto a stage I am there to entertain as my primary motivation.

When I step(ped!) onto a rugby/cricket/football/hockey pitch my primary motivation is playing the game - hopefully winning (amateur obvs). It wasnt to ensure that anybody watching got maximum entertainment. When you ally people's livelihood into the outcome of that sport that increases that dichotomy.

Sport cannot be primarily entertainment. its a real problem when it is then acting as if it is.

didds

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    None

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    this is the problem when you try and make sport into entertainment.

When I step onto a stage I am there to entertain as my primary motivation.

When I step(ped!) onto a rugby/cricket/football/hockey pitch my primary motivation is playing the game - hopefully winning (amateur obvs). It wasnt to ensure that anybody watching got maximum entertainment. When you ally people's livelihood into the outcome of that sport that increases that dichotomy.

Sport cannot be primarily entertainment. its a real problem when it is then acting as if it is.

didds
    I think Crossref got this right on the previous page. Sure for the teams, the coaches (including the rules-parsers), the players, professional rugby is about playing well and winning. In its own right and so you get hired again at better money next time. But for the other people that stand to make money out of it - the TV companies, the leagues themselves, the venture capitalists that own part of the leagues, world rugby, advertisers, etc - it must be at least partly about entertainment ... to the extent that if people are not entertained by it, they won't pay to watch it. Maybe we haven't got to that point yet, and maybe we never will. Perhaps the Lions will always sell out tours. But from a read of the papers in the last few days, a lot of the journos are expressing scepticism that the Lions "brand" could withstand another tour like this one. Certainly if the third test had been pay-per-view, I would not have watched it.

And if sport is not entertainment, what is it? Surely spectators watch it to be entertained? And without a paying audience, the brands and businesses would not exist.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

yeah - I get that. But the bottom line is, whoever etc may need it as entertainment (the TV companies etc) the real crux of it is that it still relies on those that are not there to entertain
    Last edited by didds; 10-08-21 at 15:08.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Look at rugby from CVR point of view -- CVR are the money in rugby.
    They don't care about who wins and who loses.
    They care about the quality of the game,to play and to watch .
    I'm pretty sure CVC care about winning

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by KoolFork View Post
    Their definition of a win may not coincide with the views of the teams.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    Their definition of a win may not coincide with the views of the teams.
    I suppose both want to make money?

For CVC, is rugby that risky an investment? It's basically about the value of TV rights which will probably rise as global interest in rugby increases. For some reason people seem willing to part with large amounts of cash to watch sport on TV. Thousands of fans tune in to watch football of very average quality on Sky and BT; perhaps quality isn't a factor although the failed European breakaway league suggests than some owners believe fans only want to watch top-flight games. Even CVC might not understand why people will watch sport on TV, but they are sufficiently confident that they will continue to do so.

Is rugby the same as football in this sense? Will fans watch even if the product isn't that great? It seems to me that it doesn't necessarily matter.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by KoolFork View Post
    Why would CVC care about who wins?
    Obviously they want rugby as a whole to 'win' Vs the sports they don't invest in .. which was kinda my point

Eventually, if the produxt is not great, no one watches

Speedway anyone ? Greyhound racing ?

Or even athletics, ffs, oitside the Olympics ?
    Last edited by crossref; 10-08-21 at 21:08.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan

We are not the audience CVC or the RFU are after.
    They want the mass audience, so if that means Quins pay some Boy band to play in the interval, so dad can bring Johnny and Jane along - great. If it fill a seat at Twickenham who cares if they watch the rugby or the singer.

So what they want is what looks good on the TV, and if that is someone jumping high to catch a ball, they will encourage that.

Thread Information