Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Rugby greats' letter

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    ex-Manchester & District
    Grade
    Level 10

Default 'Rugby greats' letter

Several British and Irish Lions greats have called on World Rugby to allow replacements to be made only for injuries to make the sport safer and help prevent the prospect of a player losing his life on the field. (Planet Rugby)

I agree with one of their key points about subs. You can have 8 on the bench but can use only 4 and then just to replace injured players. However, while this would return rugby to being an 80 minute game for most players, I fear that the pro teams would soon repeat 'bloodgate' or create brokenleggate or even tornfingernailgate.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan

Default Re: 'Rugby greats' letter

I would go with interchanges, but reduce the bench to 5. Works fine in the semi-pro game and simplifies the law book.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Yet to join
    Grade
    Select Grade

BB
    Reducing replacements may be a priority as we try to ensure we do not go towards basketball or american football and return some benefits to the fitter not necessarily physically larger team.
    https://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread...l=1#post375312

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by timmad View Post
    Several British and Irish Lions greats have called on World Rugby to allow replacements to be made only for injuries to make the sport safer and help prevent the prospect of a player losing his life on the field. (Planet Rugby)

I agree with one of their key points about subs. You can have 8 on the bench but can use only 4 and then just to replace injured players. However, while this would return rugby to being an 80 minute game for most players, I fear that the pro teams would soon repeat 'bloodgate' or create brokenleggate or even tornfingernailgate.
    I completely disagree with their view - you can't put the genie back in the lamp.

Not only would it almost certainly result in bloodgate-like shenanigans, it would also result in more #royallyrogered uncontested scrums like the Wasps v Tigers malarkey and few years ago.

Additionally, you will almost certainly get players who get injured and who cannot be replaced due to no more replacements, playing on and putting them at risk of aggravating that injury or sustaining another injury.

Rugby has come so far dealing with player safety - I don't want to see the game going back to the bad old days of shrugging off injuries and head-knocks, it would undo all the progress they have made, and put game safety back 20 years.
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

Not to mention "tame" doctors confirming that the prop getting his arse handed to him is "injured". Some folk have short term memories.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan

Interchanges also simplify the law book.
    We would lose 3,4, 3.9, 3.17 and 3.21-23 and 3.25 to 3.34
    3.5 is editted to read five.
    The table in 3.8 needs a new column for the number of interchanges (from the table on the NLR site). The entries for 21,22 and 23 deleted.

Code:
    # players #interchanges
    ]15,16,17 none
    18        eight
    19        nine
    20        ten
    Then add the following text slightly modified from the NLR site.
    If a Player has an open wound and thus has to leave the field, this will be classified as a Player Interchange if that Player is replaced by another Player. If a team has used all of its Player Interchanges, that Player may not be replaced and the team shall continue with one less Player than was on the pitch. The Player is permitted to return once the wound has been treated and the bleeding stopped.

Not more than two Player Interchanges per team may occur at any one time and may only occur during a stoppage in play and with the knowledge of the Referee who is entitled in his sole opinion to refuse to allow or postpone a Player Interchange if he believes either that the Player Interchange would prevent the opposition from restarting the game quickly or where a Player has been injured or that it would not be safe for the replacement Player who has been previously injured to play in the match.

A Player who is a replacement shall not be entitled to take a kick at goal until a passage of play has taken place since that Player took to the field of play.

A Player who suffers two injuries in a match which has necessitated that Player being replaced on each occasion is not permitted to act as a replacement following the second injury.
    Note this suggsted edit removes the HIA - leaving 3.24 any player suspected of concussion must be permanently removed.The replacement is simply an interchange.

If people want to keep the HIA, 3.24 would need a clause permitting a player who passed a sanctioned HIA to return. But it is still just an interchange.

Note NLR used to be NCA.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2

However, "Interchanges also simplify the law book." is not a good starting point for law changes. Is the law change good for the game? Is.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan

Yes, but we already know it works, as it has been used for virtually every rugby match in England for many seasons.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Anyone recall the SA v NZ test series 20 or whatever years ago and "injuries" and "replacements" ?

IanC has it nailed.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Camquin View Post
    Yes, but we already know it works, as it has been used for virtually every rugby match in England for many seasons.
    Then that is the argument to make.

Thread Information