Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 115

Thread: 50/22 from a FK

      
  1. #41

    Referees in England
    Balones's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NLMOT PR
    Join Date
    24 Oct 06
    Posts
    1,100

    Default Re: 50/22 from a FK

    Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    Their opponent touched the ball, as they were going to put it into the scrum.
    I asked my question before getting clarification. A scrum is a phase of play. 50/22 available and allowed.

  2. #42

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    19,372

    Default Re: 50/22 from a FK

    Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    There has been a phase of play in the red half. Offender not relevant. 50/22 available.

    An uncompleted scrum means there "has been a phase of play" . That seems odd ??

    What about blue kick into red half and it goes into touch
    Red attempt a QTI but blue block the throw
    FK to red, red kick it into blue 22 and bounces into touch

    Is that also a phase of play ?
    Last edited by crossref; 16-08-21 at 19:08.

  3. #43

    Referees in England
    Balones's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NLMOT PR
    Join Date
    24 Oct 06
    Posts
    1,100

    Default Re: 50/22 from a FK

    The scrum and lineout were awarded. They are phases of play. Both may be considered uncompleted but that doesn’t negate the fact that they were awarded in the first place.

  4. #44

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    19,372

    Default Re: 50/22 from a FK

    Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    The scrum and lineout were awarded. They are phases of play. Both may be considered uncompleted but that doesn’t negate the fact that they were awarded in the first place.
    Ok so under that (unusual) definition of a phase of play then every FK in Red half follows a " phase" in the red half , so the two answers would be the same

    (Balones your corresondent however must have had in mind a scenario of a FK that didn't follow a phase of play in the same half , I wonder what that scenario is ?)
    Last edited by crossref; 17-08-21 at 07:08.

  5. #45
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan
    Join Date
    08 Mar 11
    Posts
    1,571

    Default Re: 50/22 from a FK

    I think we are saying if the mark for the stoppage was in the defensive half, he 50/22 is on, until the ball crosses the halfway line.
    You do not need to think about what happened before that.

    But if the mark is one inch into the attacking half, it is off, until you are tackled in your own half or the ball is turned over.

  6. #46

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    19,372

    Default Re: 50/22 from a FK

    Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    Interesting. Red team pass back into their half. They knock on. They win FK at the scrum. (E.g. Early engagement.) Can Red tap/go and kick?The criteria required in law has not been met.
    returning to that one --

    Because a scrum was awarded, we are saying there has been a phase in play, right? and so in fact the criteria has been met and Red can take the FK into the blue 22, bounce it out, and throw in at the lineout

  7. #47

    Resident Club Coach
    didds's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Join Date
    27 Jan 04
    Posts
    10,561

    Default Re: 50/22 from a FK

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    So basically nobody knows
    quelle surprise ....

  8. #48

    Referees in England
    Balones's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NLMOT PR
    Join Date
    24 Oct 06
    Posts
    1,100

    Default Re: 50/22 from a FK

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    returning to that one --

    Because a scrum was awarded, we are saying there has been a phase in play, right? and so in fact the criteria has been met and Red can take the FK into the blue 22, bounce it out, and throw in at the lineout
    I made my comment before I received my information from a higher source based on the GLT page/info on the WR website because scrums aren’t mentioned there. So the answer to your question is yes. I must admit that it doesn’t sit comfortably with me but I think that overall the intention of the law is to push the defence back and allow more room for running rugby and that has taken priority over what feels right. I have a feeling that this is not going to happen but rather sides are going to get better at kicking and exploiting this law. But then I do not have any data from pre-trial trials.

  9. #49

    Referees in England
    chbg's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8
    Join Date
    15 May 09
    Posts
    1,186

    Default Re: 50/22 from a FK

    FFS, stop over-complicating it! Why do we not have these discussions about the 22 gain in ground?

    The wording of the Law for BOTH is the same: "Either the team did not take the ball into their 22/half, or a tackle, ruck or maul took place within the half, or an opponent touched the ball within the 22/half."

    For better clarity of the grammar: "Either the team did not take the ball into their 22/half, or if it did a tackle, ruck or maul took place within the half, or an opponent touched the ball within the 22/half."

    For a scrum/line-out in your own half, someone sent the ball into that half: if the opposition, then from that moment on, regardless of circumstances, until the ball leaves the half a 50:22 is 'on'. If it was your own team e.g passing back, there are very limited and rare circumstances* for your own team to be awarded a FK, scrum or line-out without the opposition having touched or competed for the ball in open play. The 50:22 is 'on'.

    *e.g. play stopped for injury, or the ball/BC having touched the referee resulting in an advantage, or other reason not covered in law. I am sure that you will be given leeway to make an equitable decision if any if these do occur.
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

  10. #50

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    19,372

    Default Re: 50/22 from a FK

    I didn't overcomplicate, chbg !

    My answer was 'yes' same as Michael Patz 's answer. Very simple, and exactly as you say.

    balones contact muddied the waters when he answered "yes you can as long as there has been a phase of play in your half before"

    which is troublesome if a scrum is awarded and never completed - does that count as phase of play ? balones explained it does count. Fair enough.

    I think the correct answer is simply 'yes, you can always kick a FK for a 50/22'
    Last edited by crossref; 17-08-21 at 15:08.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •