Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Bledisloe 3 - the sacrifice of the...

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

Default Re: Bledisloe 3 - the sacrifice of the...

Ian - going from your third frame to your last, Jordie goes from nearly straight, but with knees bent back to a position with one leg moving to a more tucked position. That is the opposite of what is needed to slow down a reverse rotation.

I don't actually think the physics of rotation are very significant here, since any rotation is very minor.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    Ian - going from your third frame to your last, Jordie goes from nearly straight, but with knees bent back to a position with one leg moving to a more tucked position. That is the opposite of what is needed to slow down a reverse rotation.

I don't actually think the physics of rotation are very significant here, since any rotation is very minor.
    Well, I disagree. I see clear, obvious rotation, and I see that rotation stop when he extends his leg. What I see comports perfectly with the Laws of Physics. It seems that what I see is the same as what the judiciary saw. So be it.
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2

The dangers of generalising...

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    I see no reason for his leg to be in a position where he strikes another player in the head. If he chooses to put his leg there, or his leg ends up there, he accepts the risk of a sending off if he contacts with the head of another player. I don’t care if their is intent of not, his leg is in a dangerous position to opponents, and is there purely due to his own actions. He therefore has to accept any consequences.
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:09.
    - Jay Windley

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    The dangers of generalising...

I have no idea what you are trying to demonstrate here. In this instance, there IS a reason for his leg to be there, he is attempting to kick a ball. With the jump, his leg is in an unnatural position, raised as a defensive measure. If he chooses to jump like this he accepts the risk of RC if he makes contact with another player.

You’re contorting yourself through all angles to justify something that is not correct. His leg didn’t end up there due to physics.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

You slow down rotation by going from a tucked to a straight position.

When he catches the ball, Jodie is almost in a straight position except for his knees being bent back.

Raising a leg is moving back nearer a closed position.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

My concern is that whilst those in the professional game can fee confident that due process was followed and that both the referee and disciplinary committe were correct given how they viewed the incident, those outside the professional game can feel little of that confidence. I suspect it would be a brave referee at grass roots level who, faced with similar circumstances, ruled that accidental and played on.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Jz558 View Post
    My concern is that whilst those in the professional game can fee confident that due process was followed and that both the referee and disciplinary committe were correct given how they viewed the incident, those outside the professional game can feel little of that confidence. I suspect it would be a brave referee at grass roots level who, faced with similar circumstances, ruled that accidental and played on.
    yes. If you follow as a rule of thumb: boot to the face = RC, I don't think you'll go far wrong with the disciplinary panel, or indeed with the players on the field around you (or even with the player receiving the RC!)

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    Watch this girl trampolinist at the Rio Olympics from about 3:00 in the video, and I'll come to your swing example after that

See how she rotates faster when her legs and/or arms are tucked in and slower when extended out. This doesn't happen because she throws her legs and arms "forwards", it happens because she is extending her limbs "outwards", away from her centre of rotation to slow down and inwards, closer to her centre of rotation to rotate faster.

What is happening is that she is repositioning some of her mass. That mass has a certain momentum (called "angular momentum" because it is not in a straight line). It maintains that momentum when you move it closer or further away from the centre of rotation. When you move it closer it still has the same momentum, but now it is covering the same distance on a much smaller circle than it was previously - the momentum cannot increase, so the rotation rate increases to conserve the momentum - when the mass is moved outwards, again, the momentum cannot decrease, so the mass has to travel a larger circle, and the rotation rate slows. This called conservation of angular momentum

I can only have one video per post, so I'll answer the swing question in the next post...
    JBs legs were already extended, changing the angle they were extended wouldn't stop his rotation, only help to protect himself because he was going to get throttled as soon as he landed. So he kicked his opponent in the face, recklessly.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1

Revised 9.11
    Players must not do anything that is reckless or dangerous to others, unless they have jumped poorly and are off balance, and their shirt color is mostly black, then this law can be disregarded.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2

You slow down rotation by going from a tucked to a straight position.
    Wrong. Rotation is slowed down by moving mass away from the centre of rotation

When he catches the ball, Jodie is almost in a straight position except for his knees being bent back.
    "almost straight" is like "almost pregnant"

Raising a leg is moving back nearer a closed position.
    Again! The raising of the leg is irrelevant its moving of mass away from the centre of rotation that is the key. Watch the video againt. HIS ROTATION STOPPED. Explain why?
    - Jay Windley

Thread Information