Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Bledisloe 3 - the sacrifice of the...

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

Default Re: Bledisloe 3 - the sacrifice of the...

Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry View Post
    How would it work out if all players were not allowed to jump for a high ball. It would need a new skill set to be developed, make it safer and easier to contest. We would not be loosing a particularly valued skill, when have I said "Wow, brilliant jump"? Its only a jump, a jump which can injure players, injure the jumping players, and is hard to police. So, if we banned the jump, how would it play out?
    At one time, when you had to have at least one foot on the ground to claim a mark, and a mark could be taken anywhere on the ground, players never jumped to catch a ball at all. That worked just fine. It is also not a skill I would miss seeing if it were banned (just as I don't miss "dump tackles", a euphemism for spear tackles.)

However if you want to keep jumping in the game, there are a couple of options

1. Only opponents of the team that last played the ball are allowed to jump, so you cannot jump to catch a ball from your own kick, or a kick by a teammate, or to catch a pass from a teammate, but you can jump to intercept a pass or catch a kick by an opponent.

2. As I have suggested previously, use a variation of the basketball jump rule - a stationary player with his feet on the ground "owns the zone" under his feet, and the right to catch a high ball. PK any opponent who jumps and then runs into him while still in the air, regardless of whether the jumper catches the ball or not.
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    TRU
    Grade
    Level 2

Default Re: Bledisloe 3 - the sacrifice of the...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    At one time, when you had to have at least one foot on the ground to claim a mark, and a mark could be taken anywhere on the ground, players never jumped to catch a ball at all. That worked just fine. It is also not a skill I would miss seeing if it were banned (just as I don't miss "dump tackles", a euphemism for spear tackles.)

However if you want to keep jumping in the game, there are a couple of options

1. Only opponents of the team that last played the ball are allowed to jump, so you cannot jump to catch a ball from your own kick, or a kick by a teammate, or to catch a pass from a teammate, but you can jump to intercept a pass or catch a kick by an opponent.

2. As I have suggested previously, use a variation of the basketball jump rule - a stationary player with his feet on the ground "owns the zone" under his feet, and the right to catch a high ball. PK any opponent who jumps and then runs into him while still in the air, regardless of whether the jumper catches the ball or not.
    Not sure item 1 provides any real reduction in the likelihood of a boot to the face of a chaser from a jumping catcher and probably increases the likelihood of it happening as a mid-air contest is effectively removed from the game.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Thread Information